Senior citizen electrocuted

Senior citizen electrocuted

A 67-year-old man was electrocuted after he stepped on a live wire in his farm field in Nagasandra under Peenya police limits on Sunday.

According to the police, the incident occurred around 7.30 am when Mallaiah went to his field to water the plants. He stepped on the wet ground on which a live wire was lying low. He then collapsed on the ground. Neighbours rushed to help him and took him to a nearby hospital where he was declared brought dead. His clothes were wet and he was electrocuted in no time, the police said.

The police have registered a case of negligence against the junior engineer, assistant engineer and the lineman of Bangalore Electricity Supply Company (Bescom).

Man hangs himself

A 40-year-old tender coconut vendor hanged himself at his home in Nagarabhavi under Jnanabharathi police station limits on Saturday night.

Police suspect that the deceased, Ramesh, took the extreme step as he was upset that his wife and children had deserted him.

According to the police, the incident came to light on Saturday night when neighbours found Ramesh hanging from the ceiling in the portico of the house.

Ramesh was married to one Shashikala for over 12 years and the couple have two children. Marital discord led to their separation.

Shashikala took the children along, the police said, adding that a case has been registered.

Guard mowed down

A 23-year-old two-wheeler rider was mowed down by a KSRTC bus near Agara junction on Kanakapura Road in Talaghattapura police station limits on Sunday.

The victim, identified as Shivakumar D, was working for a private security agency. The accident occurred while he was returning home after his night shift.

The driver of the bus reportedly lost control over the vehicle and struck the bike. Shivakumar fell down and sustained grievous injuries. He was rushed to a nearby private hospital, from where he was shifted to Nimhans. However, he died on the way, police said. The bus driver was taken into custody.

Fire at call centre

More than 200 employees of a private call centre, Aegis, were evacuated after fire broke out in their office in Sivanchetti Gardens near Ulsoor lake on Saturday night.

Around 10.30 pm, the employees noticed smoke in the building and alerted the security guards who in turn called the fire control room.

At least five fire tenders battled for some time before the fire in the basement was doused. The fire fighters, who asked the employees to move to safety, had a tough time in rescuing nine staffers stranded on the terrace of the building.

They were unable to use the stairs since the entire building was engulfed by smoke.
Preliminary investigation revealed that the fire was caused by a few inverters which exploded in the basement, the police said.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)