Deaf-mute shopkeeper shot in head

Deaf-mute shopkeeper shot in head

Killed by neighbourhood man who refused to pay outstanding bill of Rs 300

A 26-year-old deaf-mute man running a grocery store in north-east Delhi’s New Seelampur died after being shot in the head by a customer over an outstanding bill of Rs 300 on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, his family members and locals held a protest alleging police inaction, by keeping the body on the road near Seelampur Metro station. It is alleged that a police post near the spot was found locked at the time of the attack.

Vinod Kumar Muglani lived with family at New Seelampur H-Block. His family claims he was a recipient of an award during his school days from the then President APJ Abdul Kalam. The family, however, appeared ignorant about the details of the award. Vinod left school after class 10 after his Narendra passed away.

According to police, the attack was seen by his elder brother. “Vinod’s elder brother Kamal identified the attacker as Salman, who lives in New Seelampur G-Block,” said Veenu Bansal, Deputy Commissioner of Police (North East).

Suffering from speech and hearing impairment since birth, Vinod had been assisting his mother Satnam Kaur in running the grocery store on the ground floor of their house. Kamal has a tea stall at the JJ Cluster in New Seelampur G-Block. “Salman was a regular customer of the store because of which he was allowed to make purchases on credit,” Kamal told Deccan Herald. There was a pending bill of Rs 300 in Salman’s name.

Vinod had been asking Salman to pay the money since last week, but Salman was delaying the payment. Salman also went to the store on November 14. He wanted to purchase some items, but Vinod refused making it clear that nothing would be given until the outstanding amount was paid.

“Salman refused to pay and insisted on buying through more credit. That led to a quarrel between the two as Vinod stayed adamant through sign language that Salman would first have to pay up,” Kamal added. Vinod’s mother Satnam interfered, on which Salman left the store threatening Vinod. Satnam had told Kamal about the incident.

The next attack leading to Vinod being shot dead occurred at 9.30 pm on Tuesday. Kamal said he had left home with Vinod for a walk after dinner. “Salman waylaid them in front of the EDMC Primary School in New Seelampur G-Block. He abused Vinod for demanding money and said he will finish the matter there,” Bansal added.

Salman allegedly whipped out a country-made pistol from his trouser and immediately fired.
Vinod collapsed on being hit in the head, while Salman fled the spot waving the pistol in air. “I took Vinod in an e-rickshaw to Jag Pravesh Chandra Hospital. He was declared brought dead,” Kamal said.

A case of murder under section 302 of the Indian Penal Code has been filed over Kamal’s statement with Seelampur police station. The investigating officers said they are yet to make any arrest as the allegations are being verified.

Once they received Vinod’s body for cremation, the family and locals took to the nearby GT Road to protest with the body, leading to a traffic jam on the already-packed road.

Alleging a laid back attitude on the part of police in arresting the suspect, they refused to budge until senior officers arrived there and convinced them of swift action in the case.