The only way is forward

STUDYing abroad

The only way is forward

Dear Madam,
My son is currently pursuing BCA and aspires to undertake MS in computer science in the US. Is he eligible to get admission in any of the universities in the US?
P Satish

Dear Mr Satish,
Your son can most certainly pursue his studies in the US, provided he meets the admission criteria of a said university. While many universities in the US require a minimum of 16 years of education before one can apply for a masters programme, these days more number of universities are accepting our three year bachelor programmes. Has he passed any standardised tests like GRE? He will also need to pass IELTS or TOEFL, to be eligible. Records or certificates of any work experience, projects carried out or training programmes attended will be a huge plus.

Dear Madam,
I am currently pursuing bachelors of pharmacy course (one year). I have heard about competitive exams like NIPER and GPAT for the same, but I have a keen interest in going abroad for research purposes. Can you shed light on the details?
Inamdar Wasim Ali

Dear Inamdar,
NIPER and GPAT are entrance exams meant for pursuing your PG degree course in India. Institutes such as National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research offer two year masters programme in various disciplines of pharmacy. You will be pleased to learn that study of life sciences is gaining popularity and many top-ranked universities across the world offer graduate and postgraduate research-based courses in pharmaceutical sciences and pharmacy, including medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, toxicology, pharmaceutical analysis, clinical research, pharmacy practice, natural products, biotechnology, pharmaceutical business management, traditional medicine and pharmaceutics.

The M Pharm course in UK would be a one year programme while in most other countries the duration of the course is for two years. To be eligible to apply for these courses, you need a good GPA in your B Pharm, GRE and TOEFL or IELTS for countries other than UK. If you want to study in the United Kingdom, you need to write only the IELTS exam.

Dear Madam,
I am currently studying in the fifth semester of electronics and communication engineering. I wish to do my masters abroad in automotive electronics. Which country’s universities would offer the best courses in this field? Also, shed some light on how can I go about achieveing my goal.

Dear Amogh,
Your specialisation is one of the core research subjects offered at the graduate and postgraduate level in many reputed colleges, especially in Europe. Automotive engineering uses mechanical, electronic and safety engineering to design and run cars, buses, motorbikes, trucks and so on. At the masters level, you will be honing your skills to build, test and repair vehicles, together with specialisation in areas such as aviation, energy and transport, green engineering etc.

Fraunhofer Institute in Germany is a good place for automotive sciences. So is the HAN Automotive Institute Netherlands, which is known for its seamless professional practice. However, you will need professionally relevant internship or employment to qualify together with your degree credits. Hasselt University in Belgium is another reputed name.

For studies anywhere in Europe, knowledge of local language is a necessity. Another good place to be in is at the RMIT campus in Melbourne, Australia, a global university of technology and design and communication. The University is famous for excellence in practical education and research. For more details and guidance, visit

Dear Madam,
I am currently studying in the first year of PUC (PCMB). I am interested in taking research in nanotechnology or space science in UK or USA. Are there any courses that I could take up right after PUC? Suggest some universities and also the expenses involved.
Ruqaiya Mehwish

Dear Ruqaiya,
I am happy to see that you are focused and have your eyes set on futuristic sciences. Yes, you can do your under graduation programme after PUC. There are leading universities in both your preferred destinations which offer under grad courses in nanotechnology and in space science. We have University Of Glasgow, Strathclyde, Kent and the University of Manchester in the UK for astrophysics and astronomy courses together with other modules on space science. You need to write the IELTS exam to be eligible to apply to these universities.

The US has a long list of colleges for studies in nanotechnology. To name a few, we have the University of Central Florida, University of Southern California, Harvard University and Princeton University, California Institute of Technology and so on. To apply to these US universities, please take the SAT exam, three subject SATs and the TOEFL ibt.

Please make sure your grades are very good. Academic records and an interesting resume is always helpful. The fee structure differs with each university. In the UK, you are looking at a figure of close to 16,000 pounds a year and in the US, it will cost you anything between 40,000 to 70,000 USD per year.

Dear Madam,
I am a third year computer science engineering student. I am planning to do MS in Australia. Kindly suggest the exams I need to take and some quality universities. Should I take up special coaching for this? I would also like to know about scholarships provided by either the organisations aborad or the Indian Government for the same.
Sthuthi B R

Dear Sthuthi,
I am sure you have zeroed in on Australia for your MS because you are aware that the college options are huge. There are more than 40 universities to pick from. The leading ones for your area of specialisation are the RMIT University of Computer Engineering and the University of Sydney. Together with your bachelors degree, you will need to take an English language test — IELTS or TOEFL or PTE.

Government-funded scholarships are available for study in Australia. This includes the Australian Award Scholarship (AAS). There are university-specific scholarships too. The official website of universities will provide you with their specifications to avail of the same.
Dear Madam,
I am studying in seventh semester of E&C and have passed with average 9.55 grading. I have passed GRE with 309 marks and TOEFL with 115. Now, I want to pursue higher studies in USA’s top universities. Which is the best field in which I could pursue my PG. Kindly suggest some good universities also.
Md Sameer

Dear Sameer,
You have specified USA as your country of preference. Some of the best universities for your discipline are housed here. The best course of study depends largely on your strengths and interest. Some of the leaders in electrical and computer engineering are Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, University of Berkeley, California Institute of Technology, Georgia Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon University etc.

You could specialise in areas such as nanoelectronics and photonics, artificial intelligence, robotics, microprocessors, digital signal and image processing, optical devices and systems, nanotechnology, materials and devices, telecommunications and information systems, embedded design, data mining, electromagnetic fields and applications, digital signal processing, system and controls. For more details on entry requirement, specialisations, fees, scholarships etc., please visit

Liked the story?

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0