'Aides' of ex-union minister assault securitymen at college

'Aides' of ex-union minister assault securitymen at college

50-member group creates ruckus on Al-Ameen College campus

'Aides' of ex-union minister assault securitymen at college

The ongoing conflict in the Al-Ameen Educational Society took an ugly turn on Thursday when a group of youth, suspected to be the supporters of a former union minister, vandalised the Al-Ameen College campus near Lalbagh main gate after attacking the security guards.

Furniture, windowpanes and other properties of the college were damaged in the incident. The jurisdictional Wilson Garden police rushed to the spot and brought the situation under control.

A group of around 50 persons led by Imtiyaz Pasha and Ayub Khan - who were accused of attacking Subhan Sharif, honorary secretary of the Society on December 31 - climbed over the closed gate at around 3.30 pm and gained entry inside.

They brandished iron rods and assaulted security guards Rasheed and Farooque, who suffered injuries. Later, they rushed to the management office and created a ruckus, said sources. Rasheed and Farooque were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment. They are out of danger, said the police.

Pasha and Khan were arrested for attacking Subhan Sharif and were jailed. They came out on bail recently. They wanted to attack Society chairman Dr Mumtaz Ahmed Khan and joint secretary Umar Ismail Khan, but failed in their attempts as the police rushed there and detained them.

The two carried out the attack at the behest of J Shafiullah, a close associate of the former union minister, said some insiders. The staff caught one of the members and handed him over to the police.

The principal of Al-Ameen Science, Arts and Commerce College had submitted a petition to the Wilson Garden police on February 23, seeking action against Pasha, saying he often visited the campus and “threatened” the staff and the students.

Subhan Sharif submitted a separate petition to Police Commissioner N S Megharikh a couple of weeks ago, requesting him to ensure the arrest of the two men who, he said, had “masterminded” the assault on him and his son on December 31 last year.

Subhan and his son Salam Sharif were assaulted on the Richmond Circle flyover around 10 pm on the New Year’s Eve, when they were returning home by car.

Subhan, who was re-elected honorary secretary last year, said some internal elements were planning to take “financial and administrative control” of the educational society once his tenure ended and hence, were, targeting him.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox