China again blocks move on Azhar

China again blocks move on Azhar

For the third time, China has thwarted a move to designate Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist. India has told the Chinese government it is upset.

The US had moved a fresh proposal at the United Nations Sanctions Committee, seeking action against Azhar.

The proposal had sought to designate Pakistan-based Azhar as an individual linked to international terrorist organisations.

It had put forward the proposal in coordination with India.
China thwarted the process by putting the proposal on “technical hold” for six months. “We have been informed of this development and the matter has been taken up with the Chinese government,” Vikas Swarup, official spokesperson of the ministry of external affairs said.

China had last month blocked a similar move by India to bring Azhar under UN sanctions. Beijing last year blocked a similar move by New Delhi to designate Azhar as a terrorist.

It was only because of China’s opposition that the UN panel put India’s plea on “technical hold” for six months in April 2016.

China — one of five permanent members of the Security Council — later managed to get the hold extended by three months, beginning October 1. Before the hold could expire on December 31, China formally blocked the process initiated by India.

China has been shielding terrorists based in Pakistan, its “all-weather friend,” from UN sanctions.


DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)