Research your choices well

Research your choices well

Research your choices well

Dear Madam,
I have completed BE with an aggregate of 70.34%. I want to do Masters in Automobile Engineering in Germany, Sweden or Netherlands. Is it possible for me to get admission with this score? Could you also suggest other countries where I can study the course. Furthermore, what are the good universities in India for this programme?
Giridhar C

Dear Giridhar,
Apart from your GPA, universities look at your GRE and IELTS or TOEFL scores, your statement of purpose, your interest in research, work experience, projects published etc. So, you don’t have to worry too much about your 70% GPA. If you want to study in Germany, these are the universities I recommend University of Bayreuth, Technical University of Munich, Technical University of Berlin, RWTH Aachen, University of Stuttgart and Esslingen University of Applied Sciences.

In Sweden, some of the best universities for your subject are Chalmers University of Technology, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Linköping University, University of Gävle and Halmstad University. In Netherlands, there are TU Delft, HAN University of Applied Sciences, Eindhoven University of Technology and University of Twente.

Countries like UK, USA and Canada have very good universities offering programmes in Automobile Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. In India, the IITs are the best but you need to write the GATE exam.

Dear Madam,
I recently finished a Master’s course in Communication and Journalism. I wish to do my PhD overseas. Please suggest some good universities and suitable scholarships.
Shivendra Urs

Dear Shivendra,
To be accepted into a PhD programme, you need to communicate with universities directly. Research the works of different professors in the universities that you wish to apply to and correspond with them. Tell them what your research interests are and try to convince them that you will be an asset to their department. Most PhD programmes will be fully funded.

Columbia University, University of North Carolina School of Media & Journalism, University of Iowa, University of Pennsylvania, University of Florida and University of Southern California are among some of the US universities that offer fully funded PhD programmes in Communication and Journalism.

In UK, University of Westminster, Nottingham Trent, Kent, Bournemouth, Sussex, Cardiff, Brunel, Newcastle and Leeds are known for their programmes in Communication, Media and Journalism.

In New Zealand, University of Canterbury and Massey University offer excellent
programmes for PhD in Media, Communications and Journalism.

Dear Madam,
I am in Class 12 and will be writing CET in May. I would like to know about other university options apart from IIT. I am not that good at Maths to score very well in SAT, which I hear is necessary to study in the US. I am interested in Multimedia, Social Media, Designing and related subjects. I would like to know which course I can take to go abroad either in Europe or US.

Dear Namratha,
If you want to go to the US but are not good at Maths, take the SAT subject tests and TOEFL iBT. If your subject at the University is in the area of Humanities, Art, Design etc, they will be willing to accept low Maths scores. To pursue your education in UK, you need to take only the IELTS exam. This is a simple English language test which has four sections: reading, writing, listening and speaking. IELTS scores are accepted by universities all over the world. For a complete listing of universities, courses, entry requirement, fees etc, visit

Dear Madam,  
I am a BTech graduate with an aggregate of 63%. Now, I am working as a network admin. I would like to do my Masters in network security, data back up and security, server administration or anything related to network or server in any European country. Please suggest the best option and the way.
Cyril Mathew

Dear Cyril,
Many European universities offer Masters programmes in your subject area. Nottingham Trent University in UK offers sandwich programmes in IT security, Cyber security and other related courses. A sandwich programme gives you to option to stay on for a second year for a placement. You complete your Masters and get your certificate at the end of first year. The second year is the placement year. Tuition fee is paid only for year one. This option gives one a long stay visa. For more information on this and similar options, visit

Dear Madam,
Having completed my graduation in Electronics and Communication Engineering, I have taken up a job in IT sector. I aspire to pursue MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering at US universities. Please elucidate on the prospects and also mention the best universities.
A Student

Dear Student,
The best universities for Electrical and Computer Engineering in the US are Georgia Tech, University of California Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, University of Pennsylvania, Virginia Tech, Carnegie Mellon University, MIT and Stanford.

Electrical and Computer engineers are the most in demand all over the world.

Career prospects include industries ranging from automotive, aerospace, education, entertainment, military, manufacturing, health care, renewable energy, retail, security, gaming and telecommunications.

Dear Madam,
I am a science student (PUC). I want to study Nuclear Physics in some German or US university. Could you suggest a few universities and the required exams that I have to write?

Dear Sandeepan,
To pursue your Bachelors in a good German or US university, you need to take the SAT, and SAT subject tests in three subjects and TOEFL iBT. The first step of the application process is to take your tests. You can register for the SATs at and TOEFL at Next, put together all your application documents: transcripts of grade 9, 10, 11 & 12, copy of your passport, resume, statement of purpose, counsellor recommendation, and two letters of recommendations from your subject teachers. Once you have submitted all these documents along with the online application, the university will process your application and make you an offer.

Uma Aswani is an educationist and consultant based in Bengaluru.

Send in your queries to Education, Deccan Herald, 75, MG Road, Bengaluru-560001 or e-mail us at with ‘Study Abroad’ in the subject line.