Govt drops PPP plan for 1-lakh housing scheme for poor

The state government will not use public-private partnership (PPP) to implement its ambitious 1-lakh Bengaluru Housing scheme, straying from its earlier plan of allowing private players to utilise 40% of the land earmarked for the project for their own use.

The scheme, which Chief Minister Siddaramaiah announced in his 2017-18 budget, aims to provide highly-subsidised flats to the poor in the Bengaluru Urban district. This is Siddaramaiah’s second populist scheme to woo voters in Bengaluru, after Indira Canteens.

Eyebrows were raised when it was proposed to give private players full rights to utilise up to 40% of the total land, including the absolute ownership, in return for constructing one lakh flats on the remaining 60% land.
“There’s no PPP in this,” Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said on Thursday, after reviewing the scheme’s rollout with Housing Minister M Krishnappa, Labour Minister Santosh Lad and officials. “The scheme will be implemented by the Rajiv Gandhi Rural Housing Corporation.”

The government will build four flats in ground floor+three floors (G+3) buildings. Each flat will be constructed at a cost of Rs 5.5 lakh.

An online application process will start on November 15. At the time of applying, beneficiaries belonging to Scheduled Castes/Tribes will have to deposit Rs 50,000 and those under the general quota Rs 1 lakh.
“Persons below poverty line, living in Bengaluru for over five years and are homeless, are eligible to apply,” the

Chief Minister said. For each flat, the government will bear Rs 3.80 lakh for SC/ST and Rs 2.70 lakh for general beneficiaries.

The scheme requires about 1,100 acres and, the Revenue department has already identified 431 acres.

“Sufficient land is available. Those living outside the city limits can also apply as 15,000-20,000 flats will come up in the BMRDA area,” Siddaramaiah said.
DH News Service

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)