Murray pulls out of Aus Open

Murray pulls out of Aus Open

Former world number one Andy Murray pulled out of the Australian Open Thursday as a host of top names battle to be fit for the year's first Grand Slam.

Murray, 30, had failed to recover from a hip injury sustained last year and has not played since losing in the Wimbledon quarterfinals last July.

"Sadly I won't be playing in Melbourne this year, as I am not yet ready to compete," the three-time Grand Slam champion Murray said in a statement.

"I'll be flying home shortly to assess all the options but I appreciate all the messages of support and I hope to be back playing soon."

Murray, who earlier withdrew from the Brisbane International, did fly from Queensland to Melbourne, but only to catch a connecting flight back to Europe, the national broadcaster ABC reported.

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said he respected what was a "very hard decision for Andy."

The loss of the Scot, who may now opt for surgery on his hip, came with injury clouds hanging over a who's who of stars before the Open begins on January 15

World number one Rafael Nadal and six-time Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic remain huge doubts having yet to play a competitive match this year.

Nadal, the reigning French Open and US Open champion, pulled out of Brisbane at the weekend with a knee injury but said he still intends to play at Melbourne Park.

Former world number one Novak Djokovic has not played since a right elbow issue forced him to quit Wimbledon in the quarter-finals.

He cancelled scheduled appearances in Abu Dhabi and Doha but intends to test the injury next week at two warm-up events in Melbourne before deciding whether to embark on a tilt at a record seventh Aussie title.

"Novak is travelling to Australia where he will take part in two exhibition tournaments," said a statement on 12-time Grand Slam winner's website early Thursday. "After the two events, the decision will be made about his participation."

Former champion Stan Wawrinka and Canada's Milos Raonic are also returning from injuries but intend to play in Melbourne.

On the women's side of the draw there are question marks over the fitness of defending champion Serena Williams, who has not played competitively since giving birth four months ago.

And British number one Johanna Konta, a semifinalist in Melbourne two years ago, retired from her Brisbane quarterfinal Thursday with a right hip injury and was not sure if she would defend her Sydney International title next week.

"Hips take a massive beating," Konta said.

"Obviously, our game is becoming more and more physical and the demands of the tour as well, week-in and week-out, is becoming more demanding."

Earlier in the week Wimbledon champion and world number two Garbine Muguruza was forced to retire at Brisbane with severe leg cramps, though the Spaniard two-time Grand Slam winner on Thursday accepted a wildcard to play in Sydney.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry