Three commit suicide in separate incidents

Three commit suicide in separate incidents

Three people, including a 17-year-old girl, committed suicide in separate incidents in the city since Wednesday night.

Varalakshmi, a PU student from Kanakanagar, was found hanging from a ceiling fan on Friday around 4.30 pm. She was alone at home at the time of the incident, while her parents, daily wage labourers, were at work.

The incident came to light after the victim's mother, Gangamma, returned home, the police said.

According to the police, Gangamma wanted Varalakshmi to learn cooking, but this did not go down well with her daughter. On Friday, she scolded Varalakshmi before leaving for work.

Varalakshmi took the extreme step minutes after her mother stepped out, they said.

Unable to repay loans

In another incident at Hulimavu, a 28-year-old man hanged himself from a ceiling fan on Thursday night, leaving behind a suicide note.

Santhosh Kumar, a resident of Basavanapura, ran an eatery for a living.

He decided to end his life reportedly due to harassment by Sunil, a financier, from whom he had borrowed money, the police said.

In the suicide note, he said he was unable to handle the harassment by the money lender.

Sunil reportedly forced the victim to pay exorbitant interest rates. Recently, he had even taken away the victim's two-wheeler and a mobile phone to recover the loan, the police said.

According to a senior police officer, Kumar had taken loans to help a friend.

The trouble started when his friend could not repay Kumar as his business did not prosper.

Kumar's family members have not named anyone, including Sunil, for the suicide.

Motive: family dispute

In the third case, a cab driver set himself ablaze at his in-laws' house in Banaswadi over a suspected family dispute on Wednesday night. Mervin, a resident of TC Palya, had married Lidiya 11 years ago. The couple has two children.

According to the police, Lidiya, a worker at an automobile showroom, had moved to her parents' house after a quarrel with Mervin. The victim went to his in-laws' house on Wednesday and had an argument with Lidiya. Following this, he poured petrol over himself and set himself ablaze, the police said.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)