India win to enter summit clash

Last Updated 27 January 2018, 12:04 IST

Indian men's hockey team defeated Japan 4-2 to remain unbeaten in the second-leg of the Four-Nation Invitational Tournament, here on Saturday.

After stunning victories against New Zealand (3-2) and Belgium (5-4), India overcame the Japanese challenge with late strikes from Mandeep Singh (58th minute) and Ramandeep Singh (58th).

The other goal scorers for India were Vivek Sagar Prasad (12th) and Varun Kumar (30th) while Seren Tanaka (14th) and Shota Yamada (43rd) scored for Japan.

India will next play world no 3 Belgium, who beat hosts New Zealand 4-0, in the summit clash  on Sunday.

India drew first blood when Harjeet Singh dribbled through the midfield to find forward Arman Qureshi who passed it on to Vivek for the first goal.

India were slightly edgy  in the next few minutes as they gave up possession and were punished when Japan broke into a quick counter, paving way through the left flank.

It was Tanaka who drove into the Indian circle, beating defenders to level the scores.

While India built on their game in the second quarter, Japan kept fighting back trying to defend with all their might.

But some lapse in concentration from Japanese defenders earned India back-to-back penalty corners, and Varun Kumar converted the second opportunity to give his side a 2-1 lead.

Both the teams traded penalty corners at the start of the third quarter.

India won their third penalty corner in the 32nd minute but Harmanpreet Singh's flick was well-saved by Japanese goalkeeper Takashi Yoshikawa.

Japan won a penalty corner in the following minutes but couldn't make much of the opportunity.

India then broke into a fierce counter and made a successful circle entry but Vivek's reverse hit was well-saved by Japanese custodian.

Japan, though, made the most of their second penalty corner when Yamada used a smart variation to catch  Indian goal keeper Krishan Pathak off-guard and level the scores in the 43rd minute.

Japan had a great chance to take a 3-2 lead when they were awarded a penalty stroke but Yamada's flick was wide off target.

Mandeep then deflected in an improvised fashion to restore India the lead in the 58th minute.

Ramandeep then added another for India to seal the match in his side's favour.  

(Published 27 January 2018, 11:52 IST)

Follow us on