'Urban Haat' all set to open at Pilikula

'Urban Haat' all set to open at Pilikula

'Urban Haat' all set to open at Pilikula

‘Urban Haat,’ an initiative of the Ministry of Textiles of the Government of India, is coming up near the Pilikula Nisargadhama on the outskirts of the City. Urban Haat, which will be a permanent fair for handicrafts, food and cultural activities, is being set up at Pilikula at an estimated cost of Rs 3 crore.

The project is a part of Government of India’s policy to set up permanent marketing infrastructure at prime locations in the country to eliminate middlemen. The Office of the Development Commissioner (Handicrafts) is the nodal agency for implementation of Urban Haat projects across the nation. Meanwhile, the Development Commissioners for Handlooms and Handicrafts are the coordinators.

Speaking to Deccan Herald, Handicrafts Marketing and Service Extension Centre, Mangalore, Assistant Director P Shashidhar said that the project is funded directly by the Union Ministry of Textiles to the tune of 70 per cent of the estimated cost. Remaining 30 per cent has to be borne by the implementing agency, the State government. “The Central government has already sanctioned a total of Rs 2.10 crore for Urban Haat in Pilikula. Meanwhile, the State government’s share for the project is Rs 90 lakh,” he explained.

The Urban Haat is being developed in five acres of land located near the Science Centre in Pilikula, he said adding that the project is expected to complete by the end of December.

40 stalls, 7 food courts

Pilikula Nisargadhama Project Officer K Parameshwara Adiga said that the Urban Haat will have 40 stalls, 5 to 7 food courts, godowns and dormitory for artisans, who visit the centre from various parts of the nation. “Each state can send their team of artisans to our centre. We will be providing all facilities charging only a nominal fee. Plans are on anvil that a mega artisans’ mela will be organised on the occasion of the inaugural of Urban Haat,” he added.

Second in State

The Centre in Pilikula will be the second Urban Haat in the State. The JSS Mahavidyapeetha had established the JSS Mysore Urban Haat in association with the Union Textile Ministry in 2003. The JSS Mysore Urban Haat has its own permanent structure in a picturesque five acres campus.