Consider post-study work options

Consider post-study work options

Portrait of an Indian /Asian girl / female student learning in the university corridor before an exam.

Dear Madam,

I have completed my BSc horticulture degree. Now I would like to continue my studies by doing MS. Which are the good universities and courses that I can apply for? I would also like to know about the scholarships universities offer, apart from private scholarships. Can you also throw light on the job opportunities overseas?

Sanjana Agadi



Dear Sanjana,

The admission requirement would be a good percentage in your Bachelors and an English language test like the IELTS. For the US, you would be required to also take the GRE. Coventry University UK, Leibniz University, Humboldt University and Technical University of Munich in Germany, Massey University New Zealand, University College Cork Ireland, University of Manitoba Canada, Warsaw University of Life Sciences Poland are some of the universities that offer Master’s degree in Horticulture. Most universities in the US like Arizona State University, Penn State University, Michigan State University and UK Universities like Sheffield, Birmingham, Edinburgh etc., offer programmes in Landscape Architecture.

Apart from the university offered scholarships, you can also apply to external agencies like the Inlaks Foundation in India that fund students who hold offers from reputed universities.

At the moment, countries that are offering job opportunities and long-stay work visas are New Zealand, Ireland and Canada. 


Dear Madam,

My son has completed BE in Industrial Engineering and Management this academic year. After finishing his graduation, he has completed his CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) as he showed interest in pursuing his job in cybersecurity.  Though Initially, he was interested in pursuing his MS outside, as many of my friends suggested him to work for some time before pursuing higher education, he now wants to take up a job. I seek your suggestions on:

Is it advisable to pursue his interest in cybersecurity or should he continue higher studies in Industrial Engineering and Management?

Which is better for his subject - MBA or MS? If MS, which subject is good? And which country is good for each course? 



Dear Subhas,

If your son wants to pursue an MS now, I would recommend he continue in the same line of his previous study – Industrial Engineering. If he is enjoying working in Cyber Security, then let him continue working for a few more years and then go abroad for an MBA programme. Most of the good universities need three to five years of experience for an MBA. As far as country selection goes, you have fine universities in every country. What is important is post-study job opportunities, long-stay visas, work permit, tuition fees, scholarships, living expenses etc. For details, visit


Dear Madam,

My husband is BE Computer Science and has almost 15 years of experience in software development. Please suggest some courses abroad that will help him in his career growth (technical or management), with fund support.



Dear Sonal,

I would suggest an MBA since he has many years of work experience. MBET (Masters in Business, Entrepreneurship and Technology) is another course he could consider. Fund support will depend entirely on his credentials. If he studies in countries like Australia, New Zealand or UK, his programme will be for a duration of one year. If he studies in other countries the duration would be for two years. 

While UK offers an excellent education for a very reasonable fee; post-study work is not easy there. US is another country which has so many universities to choose from. If he is lucky in finding a job post study, he will be able to stay back. If your husband is looking to work for a few years in the country where he studies; then, New Zealand, Canada and Ireland are good.


Dear Madam,

I have done my Master’s degree in Dental Sciences from a reputed college in India. I wish to go and work in Canada, UK or Australia. But I was told that we have to take several exams to get a licence to practice there. Can you explain the requirements? And I am more interested in pursuing academics under a university rather than general practice. Can you suggest any other suitable countries for the same?



Dear Kiran,

If you are interested in academics rather than practice, you need to only write the IELTS exam. On the other hand, if you wish to practice, you would need to write NDEB (National Dental Examining board) for Canada, ORE (Overseas registration exam conducted by British Dental Council) for UK and ADC (Australian dental examination) for Australia.

You could also consider pursuing a PhD in one of these specialisations: Endodontics, Periodontics, Prosthodontics, Dental Material Science, Dental Implantology, Orthodontics, Oral Pathology, Paediatric Dentistry, Dental Technology, Primary Dental care, Public Health and Dentistry etc. It is advisable to have two years of clinical practice before you apply for a PhD.


Dear Madam,

I am in the third year of Mechanical Engineering. I want to pursue my MS degree abroad. Could you suggest some universities, cost estimation and fees?



Dear Elroy, 

A Master’s in Mechanical Engineering will not cost you very much in a country like Germany. Most public universities there are free. The total fees and living expenses put together will be in the range of Rs 20 to 30 lakh in the UK, Rs 20 lakh in New Zealand, Rs 25 to 35 lakh in Australia, Rs 35 to 40 lakh per year in Singapore and 40 to 50 lakh per year in the US. MIT, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Cambridge, Imperial College London, Sheffield, Leeds, Southampton, Technical University of Munich, TU Delft, RWTH Aachen, University of Stuttgart, University of Melbourne, University of Toronto, University of Tokyo and National University of Singapore are some of the best for Mechanical Engineering.

Scholarships and Graduate assistantships are offered to students who have a high GPA, good GRE scores, published research work etc.


Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox