Ex-IMF chief pleads not guilty to sex assault

Ex-IMF chief pleads not guilty to sex assault

Dominique Strauss-Kahn pleaded not guilty in a strong voice at the brief proceeding, standing between his defence team as his wife, journalist Anne Sinclair, watched. He already had said he’s innocent.

State Supreme Court Justice Michael Orbus went through the formality of telling Strauss-Kahn he needed to appear in court and had a right to be present at his trial to which the economist said “yes”. His next court date is set for July 18.

The French diplomat appeared in state Supreme Court in Manhattan for the first time since he was released on $6 million in cash bail and bond last month. He has been under house arrest that includes 24-hour monitors and armed guards, first in a downtown Manhattan apartment and now in a deluxe, $50,000-a-month Tribeca town house.

The case has been intensely followed around the world, spawning news reports even about food deliveries to his home. His arrest rocked politics in France, where Strauss-Kahn had been considered a potential contender in next year’s presidential elections, and shook up the IMF. He resigned his post at the powerful lending body after his arrest, and the powerful lending organisation has yet to name his replacement.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)