Cracks emerge in Nato's Libya raid

Cracks emerge in Nato's Libya raid

However, Britain insisted that the alliance was “holding strong.” Skepticism over the military campaign is growing as weeks of airstrikes have failed to unseat Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi and outrage rises over allegations that airstrikes have caused civilian casualties.

The air campaign continued on Wednesday. At least two explosions shook Tripoli before noon as fighter jets soared overhead. It wasn’t immediately clear what had been hit or if there were casualties.

In Rome, the Italian foreign minister called for a suspension in fighting so aid corridors could be set up.

“The humanitarian end of military operations is essential to allow for immediate aid,” including in areas around Tripoli and the rebel stronghold of Misrata, Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said.

Frattini also expressed concern over civilian casualties, referring to “dramatic errors” in the bombing campaign.

“With regard to Nato, it is opportune to ask for more detailed information on results” in the attacks, he said in comments to a parliamentary commission.

Italy is Libya’s former colonial ruler and maintains strong commercial ties to the country.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)