Student kills classmate in fight over attendance

Last Updated : 28 September 2011, 18:58 IST
Last Updated : 28 September 2011, 18:58 IST

Follow Us :


Manchan Singh (21), a native of Delhi and a third-year engineering student at a City college in Soladevanahalli police limits, was allegedly stabbed by Jayaprakash, a native of Bihar.

According to police, Singh had got more attendance than Jayaprakash who sat beside him the classroom. “An argument over attendance took an ugly turn when Singh accused Jayaprakash of loitering around and wooing girls during class hours,” said a police officer.

Singh had slapped Jayaprakash in a fit of rage, and Rahul, another friend, intervened and defused the row. Hurt by the insult, Jayaprakash and a few of his friends landed at Singh’s room at 5.45 pm in Soladevanahalli.

“After heated exchanges, Jayaprakash took a kitchen knife from Singh’s room and stabbed him in the abdomen,” said the official.

Jayaprakash and his friends fled the room leaving Singh in a pool of blood. Alert neighbours shifted him to NRR Hospital on Hesarghatta Road and also rounded up some of the boys who had come to Singh’s room. “However, by 6.30 pm Singh was declared dead by the doctors,” said the official.

Meanwhile, police nabbed Jayaprakash from his brother’s house at Kathriguppe.

Soladevanahalli police have registered a murder case against Jayaprakash.

Woman found dead

A widow was found dead under mysterious circumstances in the City, on Wednesday.

Police recovered the body of Bharathi Reddy, an employee of a pharmaceutical company, from an open space in the Avalahalli police limits on Wednesday morning.

Bharathi, a resident of Malur, was married to a truck driver who passed away three years ago. The couple had three daughters.

 Bharathi came to the house of her husband’s brother at Anandpur near KR Puram on Tuesday. Her daughters too joined her in observing ‘pithru paksha.’

Bharathi left her house for Malur at around 5.30 am on Wednesday. At around 9.30 am, passersby discovered a body lying near Kottaganur, and alerted the police.

Police initially suspected it to be a case of murder. But after careful examination of clues and the circumstances surrounding the death, they inferred it to be a road accident case.

“It seems to be a hit-and-run case. The victim has suffered severe injuries only on her forehead. The vehicle coming from the opposite direction could have hit her forehead.

Those who caused the accident probably tried to shift her to a nearby hospital, but dumped her in the open space fearing police action,” a senior police officer said.
The body was dragged for almost a kilometre with blood stains on the road. This indicates the cause to be an accident, he added.

However, police have registered a case of murder.

Published 28 September 2011, 18:58 IST

Deccan Herald is on WhatsApp Channels | Join now for Breaking News & Editor's Picks

Follow us on :

Follow Us