Wrong diagnosis and late admission caused deaths

Wrong diagnosis and late admission caused deaths

Wrong diagnosis and late admission caused deaths

While 28-year old S Manjunath, who was married just six months ago, died as the doctor failed to diagnose and administer the right treatment, the family of Shivanna (55) shifted him to the hospital very late.

Manjunath, who was the sole bread winner of the family, is now survived by his parents, three brothers and pregnant wife Manjula.

Dr Ramesh of Dommasandra Primary Health Centre felt that Manjunath had malaria and sent blood samples for examination. Unfortunately, even before the report was available on Saturday, Manjunath had died of H1N1, the third victim in the City.

Dr Ramesh said “There are many malaria and viral fever cases at Dommasandra. Hence, I asked Manjunath to undergo malaria test. I never thought it could be H1N1 influenza,” added Dr Ramesh.

Manjunath, a weaver, consulted Dr Ramesh as he had fever and cough on his return from Tiptur about a fortnight ago.  “There are a number of foreign schools in Dommasandra. Therefore, Manjunath could have got the virus from some students,” said Jagadish, a local resident.

Not given Tamiflu
Manjunath was not administered Tamiflu at Vydehi Hospital of Medical Sciences and Research Centre. However, the hospital has supplied the tablets to his family and close contacts. The PHC in Anekal taluk is yet to receive guidelines about the H1N1 Influenza from the Health Department.

There is not much awareness about the swine flu and the villagers of Dommasandra learnt about it only through newspapers and TV channels. After Manjunath's death, the local village panchayat has cleaned the area around Manjunath's house. Also, a man spoke about H1N1 and precautionary measures to be taken for the fever.

Shivanna, who was the second victim, was admitted to Wockhardt Hospital, Rajajinagar as he was suffering from respiratory tract infection. Soon after his admission, the condition worsened and progressed to pneumonia.

“He might have had slight fever from Sunday onwards. However, he was admitted on August 12, three days after contracting fever. We have handed over Tamiflu tablets to the family. I think there are three or four members and will keep a check on them as well as the Hospital staff,”  said Dr Lloyd Nazareth, CEO of Wockhardt Hospital.
The hospital refused to provide details or address of Shivanna’s family.

Dr Nazareth said Dr Sateesh, who was treating him, felt that Tamiflu would not have helped as the patient was already on a ventilator. The hospital has received around 200 Tamiflu tablets. Shivanna's body was cremated in Gubbi, Tumkur.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily