SFI's Sutil to start eighth

SFI's Sutil to start eighth

Team-mate Paul di Resta, who was significantly slower than Sutil in the first two sessions, will start from the 13th spot on the grid.

“We've been saying all week that this is a special race for us, so I'm happy with today's qualifying performance,” said Sutil. “We are do determined to do well here and today's result is the first step towards that. P8 is one of my best qualifying results of the season and I think it was the maximum we could achieve.”

Team principal Vijay Mallya was more than happy with his team's show. “It was another excellent day of track action, and I'm delighted to see Sahara Force India starting the very first Indian GP from the fourth row of the grid,” said the business tycoon.

Force India, who were no more than a back-of-the-grid team at the start of their Formula One stint, have begun making rapid strides towards the top-tier teams. They are sixth with 49 points on the constructors’ table and are looking to topple Lotus Renault GP (72) for the fifth spot.

“It is remarkable that we have come up like this. We are now fighting amongst the top teams and will only get better,” added Mallya.

Mallya also revealed that a decision whether Sutil and di Resta will continue to be Sahara Force India drivers next season will be taken before the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on November 13.

Mallya had earlier said that he will reveal his drivers’ line up for the 2012 season only in mid-December, which made Sutil and Di Resta feel very anxious.

“I respect that Adrian (Sutil) and Paul (Di Resta) wants to know about their future with Force India soon,” Mallya said. “They spoke to me about it and I will make the announcement before Abu Dhabi.

Mallya also said that he was exploring the option of having two reserve drivers from next season.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)