Jet's sacking pilots to be heard in RLC tomorrow

NAG, which claims to represent 650 pilots of the nearly 1,000 employed by the airline, had on August 24 served a notice to the management warning it of striking work from September 7 mid-night if the management did not reinstate the two sacked pilots.

The RLC in its communication to both Jet Airways and NAG on August 25 has also called for all records, including the number of workmen in the company as well as the number of those affected by the dispute, from the airline.

The Commissioner would hold reconciliation proceedings with a view to bring about an amicable settlement to the dispute, it said.

Earlier this month, Jet Airways had issued marching orders via e-mail to its two senior pilots, Capt Sam Thomas and Capt Balaraman, saying that their services were no longer required.

The Guild terms the sacking of two pilots as "an act of vendetta" as the duo was instrumental in forming the trade union body in the organisation.

The airline has called the strike as being against the law on the ground that "Jet Airways is a scheduled airline and any disruption of its flights would not only be contrary to the law but also opposed to public interest."

However, the Guild seems to be in no mood to relent, and said that it was acting well within the rules in calling for a strike.

"We are very much within the rules in calling for a strike over the sacking of our colleagues. If airlines can call for a strike to press for their demands, we also have a right to do so," NAG's President, Girish Kaushik, said.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry