Painful Diwali for onlookers

14 cases of injuries have been reported at Minto Hospital alone


Superintendent and HOD of Minto Eye Hospital Dr K S Sreeprakash examining people injured by crackers in Bangalore on Sunday.  dh photo

Interestingly, most of the injured were either mere spectators or passers-by who did not burst any crackers.

Minto Ophthalmic Hospital reported 14 cases of eye injuries since Saturday morning, including three adult patients with severe injuries. The hospital officials said that all three were either by-standers or onlookers. "One of the patients has received superficial burns on eyelid and eyelashes. We expect him to recover in about five days. However, the other two patients have more serious injuries", said a doctor.

At Narayana Nethralaya 15 patients were treated since the last two days for injuries caused by firecrackers, including five children below 15 years of age. However, no admissions were made. Hospital's Chairman Dr K Bhujang Shetty said four cases - all adults - were severe in nature and none of them were involved in bursting fire crackers.
Similarly, Rangalakshmi Netralaya received one patient, a 6-year-old child - with moderate injury. Meanwhile, Dr Kaushik from Sankara Eye Care Institutions said that compared to last year, this year's been a safe Deepavali with fewer cases being reported. "We got four children with superficial cornea injuries. However, we had treated around 15 children last year with various eye injuries," he recalled.

Apart from eye injuries, hospitals have also been receiving burn injury cases. Victoria Hospital got two children with burn injuries in the last two days. The injuries were minor and were mainly on hands and fingers, said the Chief Medical Officer (CMO).

Even Bowring and Lady Curzon Hospital treated two patients - a child and an adult - on Saturday.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry