Nod for latest goal-line technology

A third goal-line technology system has been approved and granted a licence, making it eligible to be considered for use at the 2014 World Cup, FIFA said in a statement on Monday.

The German-manufactured Cairos system uses magnetic fields set up around the goals to determine whether or not the ball has crossed the line in situations where it is not clear to the naked eye.

A fourth system, also developed in Germany, is also under consideration. The systems previously approved are Hawk-Eye, which is used in tennis and cricket and is based on optical recognition with cameras, and GoalRef, which also uses a magnetic field with a special ball.

FIFA approved the use of goal-line technology last year following a number of controversial incidents where teams had legitimate goals disallowed because officials wrongly decided the ball had not crossed the line.

Last week FIFA confirmed the technology would be used in Brazil at the 2013 Confederations Cup and 2014 World Cup after a successful trial.

European soccer’s governing body UEFA has yet to adopt goal-line technology, preferring to employ an extra linesman behind each goal.

Meanwhile, match-fixing bans on 58 Chinese soccer officials and players will be extended worldwide.

The 58 were banned by the Chinese Football Association (CFA) on Feb 18 following a three-year push to clean up rampant corruption in the sport in China.

“The sanctions by the Chinese Football Association’s disciplinary committee involve players and officials, with 25 receiving a five-year ban from all football activities while the remaining 33 individuals were banned from all football activities for life,” a FIFA statement said. “The Chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee has extended the sanctions to have worldwide effect.”

 China’s Xinhua news agency reported last week that the 58 included two former football chiefs who were jailed in June for accepting bribes in a scandal.
Nan Yong, the former head of Chinese football, was sentenced to 10-and-a-half years for taking bribes worth more than 1.48 million yuan while his predecessor Xie Yalong received an identical sentence and was also fined 200,000 yuan.  

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry