Lack of player support led to resignation, says Moles

Lack of player support led to resignation, says Moles

Moles, 48, who was contracted until the 2011 one-day World Cup, resigned on Saturday following an internal review and only two days after New Zealand Cricket affirmed his position amid speculation that unnamed senior players wanted him removed.

Moles was told he had lost the confidence of the players in a meeting with NZC chief executive Justin Vaughan and had felt blindsided by the revelation, the Englishman told local media on Sunday. "That's the most disappointing thing," Moles was quoted as saying by the New Zealand Herald newspaper.

"We've been going 11 months but I had no inkling, no communication to say there was a problem until we got back from South Africa. If I had got some feedback earlier, we may have been able to quell this problem... Obviously we'll never know because the feedback wasn't forthcoming."

Moles dismissed suggestions that his techniques or tactics had been questioned, and said that it was a problem of ‘chemistry’ between himself and some of his players.  "I'll take it on the chin and admit I haven't got that right," he said.

Captain Daniel Vettori said players were not responsible for forcing Moles out the door.
“I don't think players have that much power,” he said, adding that former India coach John Wright was the right candidate to fill the vacuum.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry