Arsenal drub Hotspur

Arsenal drub Hotspur

Guoan clinch Chinese Super League title

A close first-half was transformed minutes before the break when Robin van Persie met Bacary Sagna's low cross for Arsenal's first before Spaniard Cesc Fabregas scored a brilliant second just moments later.

Sagna and Van Persie combined once more after the break for Arsenal's third and the Dutchman's seventh of the season, while substitute Eduardo da Silva spurned an easy chance for a fourth, otherwise Hotspur’s misery would have been far greater.
Fabregas' goal was the highlight of the match, seizing on a loose ball before scything through the Spurs defence and firing past a shell-shocked Heurelho Gomes just 11 seconds after the restart from Van Persie's strike.

It got worse for Spurs after the break in bizarre circumstances.
Both sets of players stopped playing after the linesman had flagged for Benoit Assou-Ekotto's foul on Arsenal striker Eduardo but referee Mark Clattenburg signalled the advantage and Sagna and van Persie reacted quickest for a third.
Eduardo should have added a fourth but fired wide as the hosts quickly found their rhythm while Spurs struggled to test Manuel Almunia who was back in the Arsenal goal after a five-game absence.

Spurs had fought back from two goals down for a shock 4-4 draw at the Emirates Stadium last season but this time David Bentley, making his first start since January, was the closest they came to scoring with a free-kick tipped over by Almunia.
Thereafter Arsenal hardly gave any chance to their rivals, displaying awesome firepower upfront and a watertight defence.

Guoan win
Beijing Guoan became China's champions for the first time on Saturday when a 4-0 victory over Hangzhou Greentown gave them the Chinese Super League title.
Honduran Emil Martinez grabbed a hat-trick and defender Zhou Ting added a penalty in front of a 60,000 crowd at the Workers' Stadium to win the capital club their first championship since a professional national league was formed in 1994.
Beijing needed a victory to be sure of winning the title after starting the day level on points with Henan but with a superior goal difference.

Martinez settled their nerves with a goal after three minutes, beating the offside trap and scrambling the ball across the line at the second attempt.
The striker doubled Beijing's lead five minutes into the second half with a fierce left-footed drive from the wing and, after Zhou had made it three from the spot, claimed his hat-trick with a similar strike from closer range.

Beijing, owned by China's largest financial conglomerate and one of the best-funded clubs in the CSL, sacked South Korean coach Lee Jang-soo last month after suffering their first home defeat of the year.

Defeat for Hangzhou, who lost 8-2 to Manchester United in a friendly in July, meant they took the second relegation spot in the 16-team league. Chongqing Lifan were already down.

Thousands of police were mobilised for the match in the Chinese capital after fans rioted on Thursday when tickets sold out but the game passed off peacefully.
To head off any chance of trouble, police issued a notice before the match banning any unapproved public celebrations around the stadium if Guoan won.