BWF puts off review system

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) on Monday said the implementation of the instant review system on disputed line-calls would be postponed due to some technical issues in recent testing.

The camera-based system was scheduled to be formally introduced in the Indonesia Open this month after testing in the Malaysia Open and the Sudirman Cup last month but BWF said it would undertake more testing in an effort to resolve some last-minute issues which arose during the recent testing at the Sudirman Cup.

“We have undergone some really good testing in both the Malaysia Open and the Sudirman Cup and though we envisaged being ready to go live with an instant review system at the BWF Super Series Premier in Indonesia, we have determined it best to delay its introduction. We want to revisit some technical aspects and engage in further testing,” BWF secretary general Thomas Lund said in a statement.

“So instead of allowing players to challenge line calls at the Indonesia Open, we will use that Super Series Premier event as another testing ground,’’ he added.

While assuring shuttlers that “instant reviews are coming”, Lund said BWF “cannot give a date right now as we would prefer to be sure we have any issues resolved before announcing again that we are implementing a challenge system”. 

“The system is designed to protect the players and the integrity of the game, so we feel it is only prudent to be sure we can guarantee that the system will perform perfectly,” Lund added.

Lund stressed that BWF is still considering various systems while reaffirming it will be using camera-based technology, allowing line-call referees to reassess the call under review.

“Our priority is to ensure we get the mechanics of this operation working properly and we just need some additional time to do so and to look at the technologies available,” he said.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry