Worker chokes to death

Worker chokes to death

Collapses in CP restaurant's poorly ventilated kitchen

A 27-year-old man died of suffocation while working in the kitchen of a restaurant in Connaught Place, police said on Saturday.

Shyamuddin, who hails from Nepal’s Bhaktapur district, was working with Bar King Street restaurant in Connaught Place block F when the incident took place on Thursday.

“A probe found that several parts of the restaurant, including the kitchen on the second floor, lacked proper ventilation. Our team also felt suffocated in that environment during the investigation,” a police officer said. The restaurant was not using any kitchen exhaust system on the second floor, police added.

Windows of the restaurant’s kitchen were also sealed, and two deep freezers among other machinery were also found.

Shyamuddin was found unconscious in the restaurant and was declared brought dead at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital around 8.30 am.

“We were informed about his death by hospital authorities. It was suspicious as there were no external injury marks on the body,” the officer added.

During investigation, a police team inspected the restaurant to establish the sequence of events. The CCTV footage available with the restaurant was subsequently analysed.

“It showed Shyamuddin suddenly collapsing during work around 7.55 am,” the officer said. Staff told police that Shyamuddin reported for work around 7.30 am, and was cleaning the kitchen on the second floor.

“After some time, Shyamuddin was found lying unconscious by the restaurant chef Kishore Kumar,” the officer added.

Kishore informed the restaurant manager after which the restaurant’s staff rushed Shyamuddin to hospital.

A case of negligent conduct with respect to machinery and causing death by negligence has been filed with Connaught Place police station.

Police highlighted that no call was made to the police control room by the restaurant management.

Shyamuddin was also not rushed to the nearest hospital, Sucheta Kriplani Hospital, or Lady Hardinge Medical College.