Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley

Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley

At least 16 people, including six policemen, were injured on Sunday during fresh clashes between stone throwers and security forces at different places in the Valley.

Though curfew was lifted from Kashmir on Sunday after two days life remained paralyzed due to the strike called by hardline Hurriyat Conference against the killing of civilians by para-military BSF personnel in the Gool area of Ramban district on Thursday.

Reports said scores of youth who took to streets in north Kashmir’s Baramulla town in the morning were intercepted by large contingents of police and para-military Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF). Eyewitness told Deccan Herald over phone that security forces fired tear smoke shells and pellets to disperse the protesters in which five protesters were injured.

 Six policemen were also injured in Baramulla and Kupwara during clashes between stone throwers and security forces, they said

Reports said five protesters received injuries in Bemina area of Srinagar during fresh wave of protests on Sunday. Incharge Medical Superintendent Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences said that five injured were admitted to hospital on Sunday.

Curfew was imposed in Srinagar and major towns of Kashmir valley after the killing of four protesters in Gool in Border Security Force firing on Thursday.

More than 120 people, mostly security force personnel, have been injured in the clashes between protesters and law enforcing agencies in the last three days.  
Amid delay of several hours, a fresh batch of over 1,000 pilgrims on Sunday left the Jammu base camp for their onward journey to the cave shrine of Amarnath in south Kashmir.

Meanwhile, amid tight security arrangements, a convoy of 49 vehicles, carrying a batch of 1,099 Amarnath yatries, left the base camp in Jammu on Sunday afternoon to pay obeisance at the holy cave shrine in the Kashmir Valley, officials said.

The yatra was resumed last evening after one-day suspension as a precautionary measure in wake of firing in Ramban belt on July 18.

Meanwhile, Police said that some people were trying to vitiate the atmosphere by spreading rumours on Facebook. “People are requested not to give any heed to such posts,” a police spokesman said.

Comments (+)