3-yr-old's brain damaged after anaesthesia overdose

Last Updated 24 December 2013, 21:20 IST

 A three-year-old girl, who underwent a surgery for thigh fracture at Sanjay Gandhi Institute of Trauma and Orthopaedic Hospital here on Monday, is now battling for life after suffering brain damage due to an alleged overdose of anaesthesia.

Marriyam Kousar, who is now being treated at Malthi Manipal Hospital in Jayanagar, suffered hypoxia, which occurs due to shortage of oxygen supply to the brain. Director of  Manipal Hospital H S Sudharshan Ballal said Marriyam is critical.

The girl’s family alleged that she suffered brain damage due to an overdose of anaesthesia while undergoing a closed reduction procedure of fractured thigh bone at Sanjay Gandhi hospital. Senior authorities at Sanjay Gandhi hospital junked the allegations and said her parents got her discharged and were making false allegations. B G Tilak, medical superintendent, Sanjay Gandhi hospital, said: “The doctors treating the child performed a supracondylar surgery. The child would have lost the limb otherwise. The doctors had to administer a little anaesthesia. Later, she developed a respiratory problem following which she was put in the ICU.”

Minister of Health and Family Welfare U T Khader said an inquiry would be conducted by the director of his department. “Action would be taken if negligence is found. A report would be submitted in 10 days,” he said.

One of Marriyam’s relatives, Reshma, said: “She was admitted to Sanjay Gandhi hospital on Friday evening. Till Monday, the child received no treatment. The doctors were taking a call on whether to opt for surgery or some other procedure till Monday.”

“She underwent a closed reduction procedure at 8:30 am on Monday and was unconscious till late in the afternoon,” she said.

“We thought that it might have been the effect of anaesthesia given to her,” Reshma explained, adding that Marriyam’s condition worsened at night as she developed high fever. The child started biting her tongue and lips and was bleeding profusely. “The nurses stuffed cotton wool into her mouth to stop the bleeding,” she claimed.

Marriyam’s family had demanded access to her files and medical reports. “They refused initially. Later, we had to argue to obtain a copy of the same,” she added.

The child, according to sources, was then rushed to Indira Gandhi Hospital, where she could not be treated due to lack of certain facilities. Finally, she was admitted to Malathi Manipal Hospital.

(Published 24 December 2013, 21:20 IST)

Follow us on