<p>An inter-ministerial panel has recommended the de-allocation of 26 coal mines after it reviewed the progress of 61 blocks.<br /><br /></p>.<p>"Around 26 coal blocks have been recommended for de-allocation by IMG in the two-day meeting yesterday and today," a source privy to the development said.<br /><br />The names of companies affected by the recommendation could not immediately be ascertained.<br /><br />Notices had been issued to companies such as Tata Steel, Hindalco Industries and Jindal Steel & Power Ltd for delays in developing the coal blocks allotted to them.<br /><br />The government had first decided to de-allocate all captive coal blocks that had yet to receive environment and in-principle forest clearances and had issued show-cause notices to allottees of 61 such mines.<br /><br />This followed queries posed by the Supreme Court on the process of allocating coal blocks and the functioning of the screening committee that recommended the allotments.<br /><br />The companies had been given time until February 5 to obtain clearances and produce proof in support of approvals.<br /><br />The IMG considered the responses filed for 29 coal blocks allotted to companies, including Tata Steel, JSW Steel and Bhushan Power and Steel on February 7.<br /><br />Today, it took up the replies of the remaining 32 coal blocks allocated to firms such as Monnet Ispat and Energy and Jindal Steel and Power.</p>
<p>An inter-ministerial panel has recommended the de-allocation of 26 coal mines after it reviewed the progress of 61 blocks.<br /><br /></p>.<p>"Around 26 coal blocks have been recommended for de-allocation by IMG in the two-day meeting yesterday and today," a source privy to the development said.<br /><br />The names of companies affected by the recommendation could not immediately be ascertained.<br /><br />Notices had been issued to companies such as Tata Steel, Hindalco Industries and Jindal Steel & Power Ltd for delays in developing the coal blocks allotted to them.<br /><br />The government had first decided to de-allocate all captive coal blocks that had yet to receive environment and in-principle forest clearances and had issued show-cause notices to allottees of 61 such mines.<br /><br />This followed queries posed by the Supreme Court on the process of allocating coal blocks and the functioning of the screening committee that recommended the allotments.<br /><br />The companies had been given time until February 5 to obtain clearances and produce proof in support of approvals.<br /><br />The IMG considered the responses filed for 29 coal blocks allotted to companies, including Tata Steel, JSW Steel and Bhushan Power and Steel on February 7.<br /><br />Today, it took up the replies of the remaining 32 coal blocks allocated to firms such as Monnet Ispat and Energy and Jindal Steel and Power.</p>