UP medicos back to work

UP medicos back to work

UP medicos back to work

Will continue hunger strike, police chief transferred

Uttar Pradesh doctors called off their six-day-long strike on Thursday after the state government transferred Kanpur police chief Yashashvi Yadav, released all the arrested doctors and promised an impartial probe into the alleged assault on them by the cops in Kanpur.

However, the doctors said they will remain on hunger strike though they will return to work.

The state government shifted Yadav after the Allahabad high court taking cognizance of the doctors’ strike on Wednesday ordered transfer of top police officers of Kanpur and attached him with the DGP office.

Talks with Mulayam

Dr D Lal Chadani of the Indian Medical Association, the chairman of the doctors’ action committee, announced withdrawal of the strike following talks with the Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav.

Earlier in the day, all the 24 doctors, who were arrested in connection with February 28 violence at Kanpur, were released from jail on personal bonds.

The court had also asked the striking doctors to return to work and directed the state police chief to probe the matter impartially. 

The UP government had on Wednesday invoked the Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA) on them.

The doctors had been demanding suspension of Kanpur district police chief Yashashvi Yadav and action against the SP legislator Irfan Solanki, whose gunners and supporters had also thrashed the doctors.
Health services were badly affected at Varanasi, Lucknow, Kanpur, Agra, Allahabad and Gorakhpur medical colleges as the doctors had struck work to press their demands. The trouble had sparked off after the Solanki had reportedly intervened in a fight between a doctor and an old man in front of the hospital on Friday evening. 

A group of junior doctor 

allegedly thrashed the MLA, his gunners and also damaged his vehicle. The MLA had suffered serious injuries on his head and other parts of his body, sources said. 

Later the Samajwadi Party  leader’s supporters also arrived there and a pitched battle ensued between the two sides during which shots were also fired.

The police, which arrived at the scene a little later, allegedly chased the doctors inside the medical college campus and assaulted them after entering their hostels.