Drunk man batters colleague to death

Drunk man batters colleague to death

A telecaller was stabbed with a pen and later battered to death by a colleague while consuming alcohol together in west Delhi’s Punjabi Bagh on Saturday.

The colleague was arrested after he was found with a fractured finger and other minor injuries and confessed to have committed the murder during questioning, police said on Tuesday.

The victim has been identified as Sunny Avasthi, 25, who hailed from Himachal Pardesh’s Kangra district. He was working as a telecaller with Pace Setter Business Solution in west Delhi’s Moti Nagar.

“Sunny was consuming alcohol with colleague Yogesh near Bhagat Singh Jhuggi Camp in Paschim Puri,” said a police officer. Yogesh told police that he attacked Sunny with a pen after being slapped by him in an inebriated condition.

“Around 3 pm, Yogesh had received a phone call from his girlfriend during which they had an argument. Yogesh was feeling gloomy after the call and refused to consume anymore drink,” the officer added.

Yogesh’s behaviour infuriated Sunny, who slapped Yogesh and told him to have more drinks. It then turned into a scuffle.

In a fit of rage, Yogesh took out his pen and hit Sunny in the temple.

“It caused a deep injury because of which Sunny began to bleed profusely. Yogesh also panicked on seeing Sunny bleed and decided to kill him to hide his involvement,” the officer said.

Yogesh later smashed Sunny’s head with a stone and dumped the body near a drain in the area.

A probe was taken up after a call was made to the police control room around 3.55 pm. During investigation, it was revealed that Sunny was working with a call centre in Moti Nagar, and was residing as a paying guest in Vikaspuri.

Further investigation revealed that Sunny was last seen with Yogesh. A police team then summoned Yogesh for questioning during which he was found with multiple injuries, including a fractured friend.

“During interrogation, Yogesh confessed to have sustained the injuries during the scuffle with Sunny. He had also left the job after Sunny’s death,” the officer added.