Condom factory gutted

 A fire, suspected to be caused by short circuit, gutted the godown of a condom-manufacturing factory in the 2nd Phase of Jigani Industrial Area in Anekal taluk on Wednesday night.

The fire was spotted by night-shift workers at the godown of Suretex Prophylactics India Limited around 8.30 pm, the fire force said. The fire spread at a rapid pace as the godown had stored plastic materials and chemicals.

The fire force employed 16 fire tenders which took more than 14 hours to douse the flames. No casualty, however, has been reported as the workers were alerted just when the fire was beginning to spread, a fire force officer said.

A manager at the factory said the fire hydrants had been installed but the water in them ran out in just 15 minutes and hence the fire could not be controlled. The extent of damage has not been assessed yet, he added.  The fire force officers suspect that a short circuit caused the fire. The role of chemical reactions could not be ruled out either.

Comments (+)