Man kills himself at police station

Man kills himself at police station

Jumps to death from terrace, family alleges ill-treatment by police

 A 29-year-old private sanitation worker jumped to his death from the terrace of Uttam Nagar police station late on Sunday night. His family suspects delay in registering his complaint of an assault as well as “ill-treatment” at the police station forced him to take the extreme step.

While police have ordered an internal enquiry as well as handed over the case to a metropolitan magistrate for investigations to look into the allegations, they said he had waited at the station only for about 30 minutes before taking the fatal plunge.

“There was a woman and her family registering a dowry harassment case and another man whose motorcycle had been stolen. There was no delay as a policeman was just about to take his statement when he rushed to the terrace of the three-storey building and jumped,” Ranvir Singh, Additional Commissioner of Police (West Delhi), told Deccan Herald.

Raju Narwal, who lived in Kali Basti of Uttam Nagar, fell on the porch of a window. Police said they heard a loud thud and rushed to find him injured. He was rushed to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital but died during treatment.

“He was able to give his statement before succumbing to his injuries. He has named three persons whom we have booked for assault and wrongful restraint among other sections of the IPC,” said Singh denying that Narwal was harassed by policemen in any way.

Another officer went on to claim that Narwal was an alcoholic and had arrived at the police station drunk, which possibly prompted him to take a decision in haste.
Narwal was allegedly involved in a fight with some people on Sunday evening and had returned home in tattered clothes.

“He was called out of his one-room house by an unknown person around 10 pm after which he did not return,” his elder brother Mukesh told Deccan Herald.
The victim’s mother said he had repeatedly mentioned to her that local meat seller Parveen had threatened to kill him. Some locals said Narwal had borrowed some money from Parveen who lends at an interest.

Narwal’s friend Satish said he might have been harassed for not returning the money by Parveen and his friends who are allegedly notorious in the area for running gambling rackets.

Some of the accused were detained for questioning following which their relatives protested outside the police station claiming their innocence.