Abducted teenager released after Rs 25 lakh ransom, two arrested

Abducted teenager released after Rs 25 lakh ransom, two arrested

A kidnapped 14-year-old boy from north-east Delhi’s Welcome was released after his family was forced to pay a ransom of Rs 25 lakh, police said on Monday.The boy, a class 9 student of Delhi Public School in south-east Delhi’s Mathura Road, was kidnapped on October 17.

Police said his moped was hit by a motorcycle while he was returning home with two friends after playing football in Jheel Park.

“The pillion rider of the motorcycle then forced the boy to sit on the vehicle and they fled towards Keshav Chowk,” said R A Sanjeev, Deputy Commissioner of Police (North East).
Police were informed by his father Asif after which nine teams were constituted.

After a probe on October 17 and 18, Asif informed police that the boy safely returned home early October 19. Asif had paid Rs 25 lakh around 4.30 am and his son was release after an hour.

“We were not aware of the transactions made by the boy’s father and how the boy came back safely,” Sanjeev added.Police, however, continued to identify the kidnappers and mounted technical surveillance to trace them. Finally, police identified the house where the boy was kept for 36 hours.

“The accused had taken the boy from north-east Delhi to south-east Delhi and kept the boy at a rented house in Batla House. One of them used to work with the boy’s father,” Sanjeev said.

On Sunday, Head Constable Rishi Yadav received specific information after which a trap was laid to apprehend accused Sher Mohammad at Kabir Nagar and Tariq at Batla House.
Around 9.30 pm, Sher was apprehended and Rs 5 lakh was recovered on his instance. Tariq was apprehended in Batla House with Rs 7.24 lakh and a mobile phone having voice recording of the kidnapped boy.

Sustained interrogation revealed that Sher knew Asif. Earlier in the month, Sher met Tariq and planned to kidnap Asif’s son.“Sher and Tariq recceed the places where the boy used to visit in routine. They found that him often visiting Jheel Park on a moped to play football. They believed it was a safe place to kidnap him,” Sanjeev added.

Accordingly, the two men purchased chloroform from Bhagirath Palace and also called a man named Ajim to help them in executing the plan.On October 17, they met around 4 pm at Jheel Park, and saw Asif’s son arriving on a moped with two friends. “They kidnapped the boy and took him to Tariq’s house in Batla house on a motorcycle,” Sanjeev said.

Next day, they snatched a mobile phone from New Friends Colony to make the ransom call.“The kidnappers made several calls from the mobile phone and threatened Asif with dire consequences. They had threatened to kill the boy due to which Asif decided to pay the ransom,” Sanjeev added.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox