'Youngsters' performance rewarded'

'Youngsters' performance rewarded'

The national selectors on Thursday omitted senior players Yuvraj Singh, Virender Sehwag, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan and Gautam Gambhir from the 30-man probables for the World Cup.

However, BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel said that the list was decided keeping in mind the requirements of the team.

He said due weightage has been given to current performance after deliberations while picking the squad and termed the selection as balanced. “It is a balanced team selection. After a lot of deliberation and input by all the selectors, the probables list was finalised.

Proper weightage has been given to the performance as well as the requirement of the Indian team to play World Cup at Australia and New Zealand," Patel told reporters.
He defended the axing of five top players who were part of the victorious 2011 squad and said their names were discussed without mentioning them.

"Young boys have been selected after due deliberation. Even the seniors' names were also discussed but performance and the requirement of team had been considered in the proper context. "The preference of the selectors was based on the present performance and requirement of team, as I have mentioned. The performance of the boys in domestic cricket was also considered. And all the selectors have agreed (unanimous) in selecting the present probables.

He said barring any extraordinary circumstance, there was no chance that the axed seniors could make it to the final squad which needs to be decided by January 7. "The process has already been completed, so there is basically no scope unless extraordinary things happen, say for example some injury or that kind of thing. Then in such a situation we can definitely take a call on this."

Though Dhoni was not present Patel said his views had been considered. "Captain's views have already been considered and the thing has been discussed with him also." Asked whether it was the end of the road for players like Sehwag and Yuvraj, Patel said: “I would not like to comment on this. It was a selection based on pure cricket performance, requirement of team and future.

"I think all of us should be happy that a lot of young cricketers have been considered for this, as a part of the probables. I feel that the selectors had considered the future (of Indian cricket) after the World Cup.

Narendra Modi or Rahul Gandhi? Who will win the battle royale of the Lok Sabha Elections 2019


Get real-time news updates, views and analysis on Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on Deccanherald.com/news/lok-sabha-elections-2019 


Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram with #DHPoliticalTheatre for live updates on the Indian general elections 2019.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry