Robin goal takes BFC past Lajong; EB, Mumbai draw

Robin goal takes BFC past Lajong; EB, Mumbai draw

Robin goal takes BFC past Lajong; EB, Mumbai draw

A solitary goal from Robin Singh helped Bengaluru FC record a 1-0 victory over Shillong Lajong in their Group B encounter of the Federation Cup here on Friday.

The I-League champions now top the group with seven points, taking them closer to the semifinal berth.

The Ashley Westwood side saw as many as four changes from the team that played Mohun Bagan on Tuesday with the former Lajong player Eugeneson Lyngdoh making his way back to the midfield, replacing Darren Caldeira while Thoi Singh made way for Siam Hanghal. Lalchhuan Mawia got his first start in the tournament, coming in for Keegan Pereira, while experienced CK Vineeth started ahead of Beikhokhei Beingaichho.

As early as in the second minute of the game, Bengaluru cut open the Lajong defence as Lalchhuan Mawia and Eugeneson Lyngdoh combined together for the attack but failed to put it in the back of the net.

At the quarter-hour mark, the north-eastern side tried its luck on goal when Seminlen Doungel's shot landed straight at the Bengaluru goalkeeper Lalthuammawia Ralte. Bengaluru then were denied by the cross bar as Englishman John Johnson's header ricocheted off the post and his rebound header went wide.

The second half saw Singh being introduced as Westwood went with a three-pronged attack which fetched him the desired result in the 50th minute when Sunil Chhetri found Singh with an inch perfect pass which the latter slotted home past the Lajong goalie Kunzang Bhutia.

A minute later, Robin could have doubled his tally as he was clean through on goal after going past a defender but his fierce shot went straight to Bhutia who parried the ball to safety. He was at it again but this time his shot was tipped over the bar by the custodian.

Doungel squandered a few good chances in the closing minutes of the game, failing to provide Lajong the equaliser.

In the other game of the day,  Mumbai FC and East Bengal played out a 0-0 draw throwing Group A wide open.

Dempo lead the group with six points, while Mumbai FC, Royal Wahingdoh and East Bengal tied at three each.