Commonwealth Boxing: Australia pulls out, Canada doubtful

Commonwealth Boxing: Australia pulls out, Canada doubtful

Indian Boxing Federation (IBF) secretary general P.K. Muralidharan Raja said Thursday that Australia have cited prior commitments for their absence.

"Barring Australia, all other member nations have confirmed their participation in the Commonwealth Championships. Canada are yet to confirm their participation. We will see nearly 120 boxers from 15-16 countries taking part in this tournament in 10 weight categories," he said.

When contacted, Boxing Australia chairman Ted Tanner concurred that prior commitments have kept them away from the tournament.

"Unfortunately, we had already lined up an international event in Australia and invited boxers from Italy and Ukraine. So we are not able to take part in the Commonwealth Championships," Tanner said from Melbourne.
 
"Also, let me clarify that security was not a concern for us and we regret not being a part of the Commonwealth Championships."
Raja said the Talkatora Stadium  would be ready in time for the Commonwealth Boxing Championships. He also said the team for the Commonwealth meet would be selected on the basis of performance in the Super Cup and two-week trials in Patiala.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)