Angola pull Algeria to last eight

Mali cry foul after ending up third in group
Last Updated : 19 January 2010, 17:07 IST
Last Updated : 19 January 2010, 17:07 IST

Follow Us :


Angola top the standings with five points and will stay in the capital for the weekend's quarterfinal.

Algeria also qualified thanks to tournament rules that take into account head-to-head record despite finishing tied on four points with Mali. Algeria beat Mali 1-0 last week.
Mali bowed out of the African Nations Cup despite a 3-1 win over Malawi in their last Group A game. Mali finished third on four points and Malawi were bottom with three points.

Both Angola and Algeria were content to settle for the draw long before the final whistle but Algeria might have snatched victory with two good second half opportunities.

Both involved the Blackpool winger Hameur Bouazza, who first set up a chance in the 48th minute with an inviting square ball but neither team-mate Abdelkader Ghezzal nor the two Angolan defenders sandwiching him got a touch.

A jinking run from Bouazza on the hour mark was also a rare forward foray but his attempt at a flick went tantalisingly wide. The two teams then irritated the 50,000-strong crowd by choosing to keep possession of the ball from then on rather than making any attempt at breaking the deadlock.

Madjid Bougherra had a close-in chance saved by Angola goalkeeper Carlos Fernandes midway through the first half while Angola's only real chance of the game fell inside the opening ten minutes to Djalma, but his final effort on goal lacked the necessary power.

Both countries will discover the identity of their respective quarterfinal opponents on Tuesday when Group B is concluded with the game between Burkina Faso and Ghana.
Ivory Coast have already gone through from Group B but it is yet to be determined whether they finish first or second in the standings.

Mali made a flying start when Frederic Kanoute volleyed home a clumsy clearance by Malawi keeper Swadick Sanudi after 38 seconds.

They went 2-0 up in the third minute when Seydou Keita fired a 25-metre free kick straight into the top right corner of the net.

Russell Mwafulirwa finally pulled one back after 58 minutes from a packed goalmouth after Sidibe failed to control a cross from the left. Mali’s Bagayoko put the result beyond doubt with five minutes left, heading in a Modibo Maiga cross from the right.

Mali lodge complaint

Meanwhile, Mali have lodged an official complaint to the Confederation of African Football (CAF) over Monday's 0-0 draw between Angola and Algeria that knocked them out of the tournament.

"I can tell you Mali have lodged a complaint to CAF regarding the match between Angola and Algeria," Mali official Alassane Souleymane told Reuters on Tuesday.
CAF were not available for comment.

Published 19 January 2010, 17:07 IST

Deccan Herald is on WhatsApp Channels | Join now for Breaking News & Editor's Picks

Follow us on :

Follow Us