Major setback to Salman in Arms Act case

Major setback to Salman in Arms Act case

Sessions court refuses to re-examine five witnesses

Major setback to Salman in Arms Act case

In a major setback to actor Salman Khan, sessions court in Jodhpur district rejected his request to re-examine five witnesses in the 16-year old Arms Act case against him.

Sessions Judge Manoj Kumar Vyas had completed the hearing of the petition last week and had reserved the order for Thursday.

“We are waiting to get the copy of final orders from the court. It will reveal on what grounds the petition was rejected. However, the option of high court is always open,” said HM Saraswat, advocate of Salman Khan.

In the court, prosecution lawyer said that revision application should not be accepted because all the witnesses have been examined during the trail of the case. He accused Khan for wasting court’s time and alleged that Khan wants to delay the case by making unnecessary requests.

However, Salman’s lawyer emphasised that re-examination of the five witnesses is very important for the case.

Hearing the arguments, sessions judge Manoj Kumar Vyas rejected the revision petition of Salman. The revision petition to re-examine five witnesses has already been rejected from the lower, following which Salman had moved to the sessions court.

A week before, Salman had also appeared before the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) in Jodhpur to record his statements in the two cases against him under the Arms Act and Wild Life Act.

The final arguments in the two cases had been completed on February 10 but, court deferred the judgment as hearing on four old applications in the case were found pending. Later, Salman had filed request that he wants to produce more witnesses in his support.

The two cases under trial are related to alleged poaching of blackbuck while shooting for the film “Hum Saath Saath Hain” near Kankani area of Jodhpur district in 1998.