Fire in hospital

The chimney of the canteen caught fire when overheated oil spilled onto the ground. No one was injured, but some food was destroyed, a hospital spokesperson said.

Carlton woes continue
The Carlton Towers fire mishap wasn’t just about how fire safety measures were thrown to the winds and occupancy norms were given a go-by with impunity by the owners and occupants.

Some people cleverly exploited the gravity of the situation and made away with valuables while everyone else was concerned with saving human lives.
N A Jagadeesh of Varkey Education Services Pvt Ltd, has complained to the Jeevanbimanagar police that valuables, including a laptop, a cellphone, several bottles of perfumes, and Rs 50,000 were stolen from his office located on the fifth floor of the ill-fated building on Feb 23.

The occupants fled the office soon after smoke engulfed their floor, leaving the office unattended. The theft came to light when the building was unsealed three days later on February 26 and occupants thronged it to search for their valuables.
Initially, Jagadeesh thought his chief had taken away the valuables but was stunned to know that he hadn’t. When the search failed, he lodged a complaint. A case under Section 380 of IPC has been lodged and the police are investigating.

Youth ends life
A 21-year-old youth was found hanging from the window of a room where he was staying with friends, in Kaveripuram here on Thursday night, police said. The dead man was Kiran (21) of Koratagere taluk in Tumkur district and employed with a private firm. Kamakshipalya police have registered a case of unnatural death.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get the top news in your inbox
GET IT
Comments (+)