One more death in Kashmir

One more death in Kashmir

One more death in Kashmir

Kashmir continued to witness casualties with one more youth getting killed and several others getting injured in a clash between protesters and security forces even as curfew was in force in many parts of the valley to thwart a planned march by separatists.

18-year-old Shakeel Ahmad Ganai and several others were injured in action by security forces against protesters at Nikas Arbal in Rajpora area of Pulwama district this afternoon, a police official said.

Ganai, with pellet injuries in his chest, was rushed to district hospital Pulwama where he was declared 'brought dead' by the doctors, the official said.

With this death, the toll in the ongoing 49-day unrest has reached 67.

Meanwhile, curfew was today extended to several areas of Kashmir to foil a planned march by separatists to Eidgah in old city area.

Curfew was extended to entire Srinagar district, Pulwama district and south Kashmir towns of Shopian and Anantnag

North Kashmir towns of Baramulla, Pattan and Handwara were also placed under curfew while restrictions on assembly of people were in force in rest of the Valley, police said.

Normal life remained paralysed for the 49th consecutive day due to curfew, restrictions and separatist-sponsored strike.

Shops, private offices, educational institutions and petrol pumps remained closed while public transport continued to be off roads. The attendance in government offices and banks was also affected, the official said.

Mobile internet also continued to remain suspended in the entire Valley, where the outgoing facility on prepaid mobiles remained barred.

Separatist leaders Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq attempted to take out processions to Eidgah but both were detained just when they left their residences where they are under house arrest.

Mirwaiz, chairman of moderate Hurriyat Conference, tried to take out the march along with his supporters from his Nigeen residence but was taken into custody. He was later shifted to Chashma Shahi Guest House.

Geelani, chairman of hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference, was also taken into custody as he tried to defy the house arrest orders, a police official said.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox