Policeman killed as curfew, clashes continue

Policeman killed as curfew, clashes continue

Policeman killed as curfew, clashes continue

Curfew, shutdown and clashes continued for the 50th consecutive day in Kashmir where a policeman was shot dead by militants in Pulwama district while body of a youth who drowned in Anantnag on Friday was retrieved on Saturday.

Reports said unidentified militants killed a policeman in Quil area of south Kashmir when he was leaving home for duty in the wee hours. The slain policeman was leaving for District Police Lines, Pulwama when militants fired at him from point blank range.

In south Kashmir’s Anantnag district, people retrieved the body of a youth, who they said, drowned in Jhelum river after being chased by security forces. Witnesses said that three youths had jumped into the Jhelum to escape from the forces during protests but two of them managed to swim to safety.

Despite intermittent rain, the clashes between protesters and security forces continued throughout the Valley on Saturday in which dozens of people were injured. Reports said at least 12 people were injured after forces burst teargas shells and fired pellets to foil a rally in twin villages of Bugam and Bolsoo in Kulgam district of south Kashmir.

Hospital sources said two of the seriously injured who had been hit by pellet in the eye and head were referred to Srinagar. There have been reports of massive crackdown against stone pelters and nocturnal raids and arrests all over South Kashmir.

In Pattan area of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district, scores of people were injured during day-long protests. SSP Baramulla Imtiyaz Hussain said a large number of youths had blocked the national highway and were checking the identity cards of commuters.

He said the forces burst a few teargas shells after the youths pelted stones at them.

A police spokesman said barring five incidents of stone pelting in Anantnag, Shopian and Bandipora, the overall situation remained peaceful and under control till evening.