Bengaluru returns to normality

Bengaluru returns to normality

Bengaluru returns to normality
It was business as usual in most of parts of the city on Wednesday although the areas that were under curfew for the past couple of days were limping back to normality.

Most of the educational institutions and businesses were open, but those in troubled western and southeastern Bengaluru remained shut even after the police relaxed the restrictions at 9 am on Wednesday. Public transport services functioned as usual across the city.

Curfew was lifted in Rajarajeshwari Nagar, KP Agrahara, Chandra Layout, Yeshwantpur, Mahalakshmi Layout, Peenya, RMC Yard, Nandini Layout, Jnanabharathi, Rajagopalnagar, Kamakshipalya, Vijayanagar, Byatarayanapura, Kengeri, Magadi Road and Rajajinagar.

The police and the central forces conducted flag marches in the troubled areas. Special forces will stay put in the city till September 20. Additional forces have been deployed at Attibele on the Tamil Nadu border to prevent any untoward incidents in view of a bandh called in the neighbouring state on Friday.

Police Commissioner N S Megharikh said the situation in the city was peaceful and vehicular movement was normal. He said 370 people had been arrested for arson and rioting and several police teams had been formed to nab those still at large. He said only a few shops were open at Hegganahalli, Laggere, Peenya, Byatarayanapura, Mysuru Road and Rajajinagar. “Maybe they remained shut due to police presence,” he said.

Home Minister G Parameshwara visited the troubled areas where curfew was clamped. He directed the police commissioner to keep a tight vigil in sensitive places.

Parameshwara told the media that both Tamils and Kannadigas had been provided security. “There is no need to panic. The situation is normal and people are going to work. Schools and colleges are also open,” he said.

The minister also visited Byadarahalli where a man fell from the third floor of a building while trying to escape from the police. The victim, Kumar, died at a hospital on Tuesday.

Parameshwara directed the police to conduct a separate enquiry into the burning of buses belonging to KPN Travels.

 “We have received information that the buses were set on fire just to claim insurance. But nothing can be confirmed and an enquiry has been ordered into the matter,” he said.
DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)