Focus on the future

study abroad
Last Updated 28 December 2016, 18:35 IST

Dear Madam,
I am currently doing BCom (third semester) in a private college. I got 7.0 CGPA in Class 10 and 78% in II PUC (CEBA). Due to some reasons, I got 52% and 49% in the first and second semesters. I am working hard for a good aggregate. I want to do CIMA in the UK or MBA in Finance either in UK or France. I want to know whether I am eligible to do so or not. Also, please inform about other courses in UK or France and work experience required.

Dear Gautam,
Don’t worry about your earlier grades. Work on getting a good aggregate and take the IELTS exam. You can certainly apply to both UK and France for your Masters. Ideally, you would require two to three years of work experience and GMAT to get into a good university that offers MBA.

There are very few universities that will take students without work experience. UK has more university options for MSc and MBA. You can pursue your CIMA in UK along with a Masters in Finance directly after your BCom with out any work experience. For more information on CIMA visit www.cimaglobal.com.

Dear Madam,
I have completed engineering in Medical Electronics. Now, I am writing the GRE and want to go to USA for higher studies. Can you please guide me a related field which I can pursue, and suggest some good universities.
Poojya Prasad

Dear Poojya,
You could pursue Master of Science in Medical Electronics, Medical Device and Diagnostic Engineering, Medical Imaging, Bio Signal Processing, Biomechanics, Bioengineering Innovation and Design, Bio Informatics etc.  University of Southern California, Johns Hopkins, Columbia University, MIT and University of Pennsylvania are among the best in the U.S for specialised courses in this field.

Dear Madam,
I am pursuing BTech+MTech (integrated course) in Biotechnology from Amity university in India and I have plans to pursue PhD abroad. I am studying here with full scholarship and due to monetary issues, I would also like to do my PhD with scholarship. Can you suggest possible countries and some good universities which offer a scholarship?

Dear Mehak,
PhD programmes are fully funded in most countries. You need to identify a research topic and communicate with professors from various universities who are already into research in your area of interest. A good research proposal, a statement of purpose which clearly addresses your interest in their university and the particular department you are applying to, a resume which highlights all your academic achievements, research works and publications and work experience will help them decide if you are worthy of the scholarship.

You can apply to any country you wish. You should, through your communication skills, try and convince them to accept you.

Dear Madam,
I am in the second year of Bachelors degree in Microbiology from Mumbai University. I am keen in doing a career in Dentistry and would like to know whether I can enrol at foreign universities for a degree in Bachelors in Dental surgery. Please guide.

Dear Shreeya,
You can apply for Bachelors in Dental Surgery in the UK. The entry requirement for Bachelors programme in Dental Surgery in UK is generally a good percentage in Class 12, IELTS and UKCAT exam. The duration of your program would be five years. Since you are in your second year of Bachelors, I would recommend a Masters programme in Australia.

The Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) is a Masters programme offered by Australian Universities like University of Melbourne where the entry requirement is a Bachelors degree, Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT) and the IELTS exam.
This is a four-year full time programme.

Dear Madam,
I am studying in Class 9. It is likely that in Class 10, I may get through in distinction. My ambition is to study courses related to the automobile industry in European countries, specifically those offering diploma courses in mechanical engineering. Kindly give me some tips and measures with respect to qualifications and other eligibility pre-requisite tests required to get a seat in diploma in mechanical engineering. Also, could suggest the reading material required for preparation of the tests and counselling centers for detailed information.
Bhargav D

Dear Bhargav,
Germany offers some of the best automobile engineering programmes and most of them are free. Register at the Goethe Institute (Max Mueller Bhavan) in Bengaluru for German language courses. Also, take the TOEFL iBT exam. This is a simple English language exam that tests your reading, writing, speaking and listening skills. Go to www.ets.org to work on practice papers. Get a high percentage in your Classes 9, 10, 11 & 12 exams. You cannot go abroad to pursue a diploma after Class 10. You need to complete your high school education here as an entry requirement to study any engineering programme anywhere in Europe.

(Published 28 December 2016, 16:15 IST)

Follow us on