Hotel manager, cleaner electrocuted while cleaning sump

The manager and cleaner of a hotel were electrocuted while cleaning the water sump at the establishment near Domlur, east Bengaluru, on Thursday evening.

Vishwanath (39), the manager at Srinidhi Hotel, and Guru (26), a cleaner, got into the sump to clean it around 6 pm. They lost consciousness soon after. Other employees of the hotel rushed to their rescue and lifted out them of the sump. They were taken to Manipal Hospital where doctors said their condition was critical. They failed to respond to the treatment and died around 10 pm.

Police said electrocution was likely the cause of death. They suffered electric shock as the motor was switched on while they were cleaning the sump. It is an old sump with wires dangling inside. Police said they would question other members of the hotel staff and examine the spot.

The hotel owner will be booked for causing death due to negligence, police said. The victims had been working in the hotel for the past two years.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry