Government releases funds for drought-hit farmers in Mandya

Of Rs 102 cr sought, Rs 72 cr released in five phases

The farmers of the district have a reason to smile as the state government has released compensation for crop loss, which has already been deposited in their bank accounts, directly.

In all, 1,37,727 beneficiaries have been identified in the seven taluks of the district for payment of compensation. The government has released a total of Rs 72 crore in five phases. When the first phase of the amount was deposited in the bank accounts, there was confusion as Aadhaar numbers were not linked to the bank accounts of the farmers. Now, the confusion has been cleared and the amount is remitted to their respective accounts.

Additional Deputy Commissioner B R Poornima said around 90% of the compensation for crop loss has been released. The remaining 10% will be released soon and would be remitted to the bank accounts of the beneficiaries, she said.

According to the Agriculture department, ragi, cowpea and sesame that were grown on drylands and sugar cane and paddy grown on irrigated lands have withered. Maddur taluk is said to be the worst affected by drought as per the report submitted by the department. Crops grown on 28,226 hectare in the taluk is estimated to have been lost. Similarly, crops grown on 22,188 hectares in Mandya taluk and 18,800 hectares in Nagamangala have been lost due to drought.

Speaking to DH, Rajasulochana, Joint Director for Agriculture, said, the officials who conducted survey to determine crops loss, had submitted a proposal to the government seeking Rs 102 crore towards compensation. It included Rs 28.92 crore for Maddur taluk, and Rs 20.27 crore for Mandya taluk. The Horticulture department too has submitted a report, seeking Rs 6.10 crore as compensation for coconut growers.
 

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry