Audio clip of 'BJP bribe' goes viral

Audio clip of 'BJP bribe' goes viral

An audio clip, purportedly of BJP member Varun Patel trying to strike a deal with a convener of the Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti (PAAS), went viral on social media on Thursday.

Narendra Patel, PAAS convener from North Gujarat, on Sunday claimed that the BJP had offered him Rs 1 crore to join the saffron brigade and showed wads of currency notes to the media.

On Tuesday, he filed a complaint against six people before the Gandhinagar chief judicial magistrate court, on charges of bribing, cheating, betraying and threatening him. Among those named are Gujarat BJP chief Jitu Vaghani, party spokesperson Bharat Pandya, youth wing leader Rutvij Patel and Varun.

Varun, once a close associate of quota agitation leader Hardik Patel, had switched over to the BJP on October 21. The following day, Narendra joined the ruling party in the presence of Varun and other senior BJP leaders, including Vaghani and Pandya.

However, a few hours later, Narendra called a press conference to claim that he had been offered Rs 1 crore to switch loyalties, and that he had gone along with the charade to expose the BJP.

He displayed notes totalling Rs 10 lakh, claiming it had been given to him as an advance by Varun, who brokered the deal.

In the audio clip, a voice, supposedly of Varun, is heard telling Narendra that he would be given 60% of the amount after the press conference and the remaining 40% after a party function the following day.

The Gandhinagar court on Wednesday ordered an inquiry into Narendra’s complaint.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)