Star Wars: The Last Jedi is perhaps the most divisive Star Wars film since the prequels, which is not really saying a lot. However, one person belonging to the so-called Men's Rights Activists has gone the extra mile to actually edit out all women characters or at least reduce them to the point of irrelevance while making all the men the focus of the film. Talk about toxic masculinity and a fragile ego.
On a torrent file published on The Pirate Bay, which somehow still operates, the anonymous user put up an extensive description of his "work", which was downloaded 66 times the last we checked. Somehow, the Emperor comes to mind:
"Basically The Last Jedi minus Girlz Powah and other silly stuff.
It would probably be easier to make a list of things that were kept instead of things that were changed. Hardly any scene got away without cuts.
The resulting movie is (wait for it ...) 46 minutes long.
Yeah I know, it's not ideal. It's made from a CAM source (the most recent HDTC one with the Asian hard subs, which is pretty watchable). It has issues. But it had to be done.
You will probably enjoy it most when you view it less as a blockbuster movie and more as some kind of episode from some non-existent mediocre Star Wars series.
Here's a short rundown of changes (spoilers! full list in description.txt):
- No whiny/reluctant/murderous psycho Luke.
- NO HALDO! She simply doesn't exist. Her whole subplot doesn't exist. The Kamikaze is carried out by Poe. ( = Poe dies.)
- Leia never scolds, questions nor demotes Poe.
- Lea dies. Kylo kills her.
- Kylo is more badass and much less conflicted and volatile.
- Kylo takes on more of Snoke's guards, Rey struggles with a single one.
- No bomber heroism by china girl in the beginning.
- No Canto Bight.
- No superpowered Rey.
- Luke is not a semi-force-ghost and is smashed by the first laser cannon shot. (sorry, I just had to!)
- Phasma is finished after the first blow by Finn. (Women are naturally weaker than men, she isn't force-sensitive, and we know nothing about any exo-skeleton in her suit)
- Asian chick speaks less, doesn't bully Finn, Finn doesn't try to escape, she is never formally introduced. She is just there and occasionally smiles at Finn or screams "Finn!". She has no sister. Serves her right for all the heinous stuff she did.
- Lots of little cuts reducing the number of female facial shots. Too many to count. (Pun intended.)
- Quite a few scenes rearranged so that the flow of the shortened movie is still somewhat coherent.
Obviously it's far from perfect. The source is not even on DVD-level. Some of the technical edits were slacked because why not, it's a CAM source (e.g. some masks and Snoke disappearing). Sometimes there's an extreme zoom despite the mediocre quality. There are plotholes and continuity errors and some cuts are not as smooth as they should be, especially audio transition-wise. But for what it's worth, it can now at least be viewed without feeling nauseaus about most of the terrible big and small decisions they made in this film. Also, at least the intro sequence is now very watchable and actually much cooler without all of Leia's nitpicking. Now it's all one united Resistance fighting without inner conflict and that's much more satisfying to watch. Due to the extreme shortening, the whole movie is much more fast-paced now, at times unfortuantely also rushed due to a lack of usable filler footage"
Someone, please slap me, this has to be some kind of a nightmare.
One would think the director of the film would be aghast at someone attempting to massacre his work to stoke their fragile masculinity, but here is Rian Johnson just being Rian Johnson:
Not only Johnson, but Hamill and Boyega, who play the Jedi Master Luke Skywalker and the First Order Stormtrooper-turned Resistance fighter Finn, formerly FN-2187, joined in on the fun:
(Compiled and written by Varun HK)