<p class="bodytext">The French referee who kicked out at a player during a Ligue 1 game was on Thursday handed a three-month ban by disciplinary chiefs with a further three months suspended.</p>.<p class="bodytext">Tony Chapron, 45, kicked Diego Carlos of Nantes towards the end of the match against Paris Saint-Germain on January 14 after being knocked over when the pair collided.</p>.<p class="bodytext">Chapron sent the player off before apologising the next day, saying Carlos had bumped into him but that his own reaction had been "clumsy" and "inappropriate".</p>.<p class="bodytext">The French Football Federation (FFF) suspended Chapron "until further notice" and the league's disciplinary commission met on Thursday in Paris with Chapron attending the two-hour proceedings with his lawyer.</p>.<p class="bodytext">"The meeting took place in a calm atmosphere which was in contrast to the media lynching (around the affair)," said Samuel Chevret, the referee's lawyer.</p>.<p class="bodytext">At the time of the affair, the FFF said in a statement that Chapron had reviewed video footage of the incident and "noted that his fall had been caused accidentally".</p>.<p class="bodytext">Chapron apologised, saying in a statement to AFP: "The Nantes player, Diego Carlos, crashed into me.</p>.<p class="bodytext">"At the time of the collision, I felt a sharp pain where I had recently suffered an injury. My unfortunate reaction was to stick my leg out towards the player."</p>.<p class="bodytext">Several weeks before the incident, Chapron had announced that he planned to retire from refereeing at the end of the season.</p>.<p class="bodytext">He has been refereeing in France's top flight since 2004 and has taken charge of more than 400 matches, including the French Cup final in 2014. In October, he refereed a game in the Chinese Super League.</p>.<p class="bodytext">Before Thursday's hearing FFF president Noel Le Graet said: "He's someone who has done a beautiful job. He has made a small mistake, that he clearly recognises. Killing him at this point achieves nothing. He's someone who deserves respect."</p>.<p class="bodytext">There are almost no precedents for Chapron's offence in France. In 2015, Philippe Kalt lost his chance of refereeing the League Cup final for elbowing away Adamo Coulibaly while showing a card to another Lens player. But he was back refereeing in Ligue 1 before the end of the season.</p>.<p class="bodytext">Footage of Chapron's kick went viral across the world.</p>.<p class="bodytext">Nantes president Waldemar Kita, who was seen laughing incredulously after the red card was shown, said he spoke to Chapron at the end of the game.</p>.<p class="bodytext">"He told me that he had never wanted to kick the player and that he had felt himself pushed in the back," he told French television.</p>.<p class="bodytext">"It's a joke. I got 20 text messages from across the world telling me this referee is a joke."</p>.<p class="bodytext">Nantes midfielder Valentin Rongier had a good view of the incident and called for the referee to be given a long ban.</p>.<p class="bodytext">"He says he slipped, but I know he kicked him," Rongier told Canal+.</p>.<p class="bodytext">"I know it's very difficult to referee but you have to question them from time to time... We do that, we get a 10- match ban."</p>
<p class="bodytext">The French referee who kicked out at a player during a Ligue 1 game was on Thursday handed a three-month ban by disciplinary chiefs with a further three months suspended.</p>.<p class="bodytext">Tony Chapron, 45, kicked Diego Carlos of Nantes towards the end of the match against Paris Saint-Germain on January 14 after being knocked over when the pair collided.</p>.<p class="bodytext">Chapron sent the player off before apologising the next day, saying Carlos had bumped into him but that his own reaction had been "clumsy" and "inappropriate".</p>.<p class="bodytext">The French Football Federation (FFF) suspended Chapron "until further notice" and the league's disciplinary commission met on Thursday in Paris with Chapron attending the two-hour proceedings with his lawyer.</p>.<p class="bodytext">"The meeting took place in a calm atmosphere which was in contrast to the media lynching (around the affair)," said Samuel Chevret, the referee's lawyer.</p>.<p class="bodytext">At the time of the affair, the FFF said in a statement that Chapron had reviewed video footage of the incident and "noted that his fall had been caused accidentally".</p>.<p class="bodytext">Chapron apologised, saying in a statement to AFP: "The Nantes player, Diego Carlos, crashed into me.</p>.<p class="bodytext">"At the time of the collision, I felt a sharp pain where I had recently suffered an injury. My unfortunate reaction was to stick my leg out towards the player."</p>.<p class="bodytext">Several weeks before the incident, Chapron had announced that he planned to retire from refereeing at the end of the season.</p>.<p class="bodytext">He has been refereeing in France's top flight since 2004 and has taken charge of more than 400 matches, including the French Cup final in 2014. In October, he refereed a game in the Chinese Super League.</p>.<p class="bodytext">Before Thursday's hearing FFF president Noel Le Graet said: "He's someone who has done a beautiful job. He has made a small mistake, that he clearly recognises. Killing him at this point achieves nothing. He's someone who deserves respect."</p>.<p class="bodytext">There are almost no precedents for Chapron's offence in France. In 2015, Philippe Kalt lost his chance of refereeing the League Cup final for elbowing away Adamo Coulibaly while showing a card to another Lens player. But he was back refereeing in Ligue 1 before the end of the season.</p>.<p class="bodytext">Footage of Chapron's kick went viral across the world.</p>.<p class="bodytext">Nantes president Waldemar Kita, who was seen laughing incredulously after the red card was shown, said he spoke to Chapron at the end of the game.</p>.<p class="bodytext">"He told me that he had never wanted to kick the player and that he had felt himself pushed in the back," he told French television.</p>.<p class="bodytext">"It's a joke. I got 20 text messages from across the world telling me this referee is a joke."</p>.<p class="bodytext">Nantes midfielder Valentin Rongier had a good view of the incident and called for the referee to be given a long ban.</p>.<p class="bodytext">"He says he slipped, but I know he kicked him," Rongier told Canal+.</p>.<p class="bodytext">"I know it's very difficult to referee but you have to question them from time to time... We do that, we get a 10- match ban."</p>