Kashmir shuts to protests against civilian killings

Kashmir shuts to protests against civilian killings

Kashmir shuts to protests against civilian killings

Normal life was affected in Kashmir on Wednesday due to the strike called by separatists against the recent killing of civilians and shifting of political prisoners from the Valley to outside jails.

Separatist leaders Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Yasin Malik had called for a march to south Kashmir's Shopian to offer condolences to families of four youth killed in army firing at Pahnoo village in the district on Sunday night.

They had also called for a shutdown in protest of the shifting of prisoners to jails outside the Valley.

Pertinently, following the dramatic escape of Lashker-e-Taiba commander Naveed Jatt alias Abu Hanzulla last month, nearly 40 prisoners were shifted from the Central Jail, Srinagar to prisons outside the Valley.

Fearing trouble, authorities had deployed police and paramilitary CRPF troopers in full riot gear in the sensitive areas of old city Srinagar and south Kashmir areas to ensure peace.

The police and CRPF had laid razor wires and erected barricades at some road junctions. Armoured vehicles were also seen at some road junctions in old Srinagar.

All the shops, commercial establishments and educational institutions remained closed while public transport was off the roads in Srinagar city while attendance in government offices was thin. However, skeletal movement of private vehicles was reported from various areas.

Similar reports were received from other parts of the Valley.

The government had on March 5 ordered the closure of all educational institutions till March 7 which also led to the cancellation of various examinations.

Intra-Kashmir train services also remained suspended for the third consecutive day.

Police issued an advisory seeking cooperation from the people to maintain "order and peace" in wake of the protest march towards Shopian.

While Yasin Malik was detained and lodged in Central Jail Srinagar, Mirwaiz and Geelani were put under house arrest to prevent them from leading protest rallies.

A police spokesperson said situation in Valley remained peaceful with no untoward incident reported from anywhere.