Cricket Australia are hoping to share the results of their investigation into the ball-tampering scandal within a couple of days as they look to take control of a story that has plunged the country into turmoil.
Steve Smith stood down from his post as captain and was banned for one Test match by the International Cricket Council (ICC) on Sunday after admitting conspiring to tamper with the ball during the third Test against South Africa in Cape Town.
The incident has been met with astonishment in Australia, with the protagonists -- Smith, his vice-captain David Warner and opening batsman Cameron Bancroft -- lambasted in the media under headlines almost universally trumpeting the word "Shame".
Cricket Australia (CA) chief executive James Sutherland headed over to South Africa on Monday to join integrity chief Iain Roy, who is conducting the investigation.
"I am travelling to Johannesburg this evening and will arrive Tuesday morning local time to meet Iain to understand the findings of the investigation to that point, and to determine recommended outcomes," Sutherland said in a statement.
"We know Australians want answers and we will keep you updated on our findings and next steps, as a matter of urgency."
Cricket Australia Chairman David Peever said the body expected to be able to "fully update the Australian public on the findings" on Wednesday morning Australia time.
Smith, Cricket Australia said earlier on Monday, would remain in South Africa until the investigation was concluded even though he would be unable to play in the fourth Test in Johannesburg later this week.