Karnataka blames Kerala for delay over Madani's arrest

Karnataka blames Kerala for delay over Madani's arrest

Karnataka blames Kerala for delay over Madani's arrest

Two senior police officials from Bangalore arrived here this morning fuelling speculation that Madani would be arrested today, but amid drama and suspense a medical team from a private hospital examined Madani, who is said to be suffering from fever, at his camp in nearby Anwarassery.

Doctors said they were awaiting the report of blood tests to decide on hospitalisation of Madani, against whom a Bangalore court has issued a non-bailable warrant.

Blaming Kerala for the delay in Madani's arrest, Karnataka Home Minister V S Acharya told a Malayalam TV channel, "We are requesting the Kerala government. Things are not happening. If the cooperation is not coming we will have to think of some other option."
Kerala was swift to reject the charge with state Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan stating that police would extend help to their Karnataka counterparts "in accordance with their requirements".

Balakrishnan told reporters in Kannur that it was a case registered in the neighbouring state and since Madani himself had said that he would surrender before court it was for Karnataka Police to take whatever steps they wanted.

PDP Working Chairman Poonthura Siraj said there was no going back on Madani's word on surrendering before the court. "Madani is prepared for the journey to Bangalore," Siraj said.

However, he did not specify when or where the surrender would take place.
The day unfolded with Bangalore Joint Police Commissioner Alok Kumar and DCP Omkarayya holding discussions with Kollam SP Harshitha Attalluri. They were learnt to have made it clear that Karnataka was keen to avoid any further delay in the arrest or surrender as the deadline for producing Madani in a Bangalore court was fast approaching.

Though the PDP leaders indicated in the morning that their leader might surrender by the afternoon, they later declined to give any firm hint on when that would happen.
A six-member team of senior doctors were called in from a nearby private hospital and an ambulance was also brought to Madani's camp, creating the impression that he would be moved to hospital where he would surrender.

Police said the situation around Madani's camp continued to be under their tight control.
The PDP's plans to hold a leadership meeting to decide on the future course was dropped since prohibitory orders were in force in the area, they said.

Karnataka High Court has already rejected the anticipatory bail plea of Madani, who has now moved the Supreme Court.

While reiterating that he had no role whatsoever in the Bangalore blasts that left one dead and injured 20 others, and that he was falsely implicated in the case, Madani yesterday said he preferred to surrender before a local court.

Madani was also an accused in the 1998 Coimbatore serial blasts in which 58 people were killed. However, he was acquitted by the trial court.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)